Ben
Ben asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Were model years something that existed in the 1920s as well?

a) yes

b) no

When you answer, can you give me an explanation?

• Lôn

Stop asking questions like this over and over BEN! Especially the silly "a) yes b) no. When you answer , can you give me an explanation?" Do you realise how annoying you are getting Ben?? I suspect you DO and are doing it on purpose.

Alfred Sloan, the president of General Motors in 1923 and later its Chairman, is credited with the concept of 'planned obsolescence', which, in its original form, was not what the expression has come to mean today.

Today, it means to intentionally produce products in a way that they will not have a long life, so that buyers will need to buy them repeatedly.

Originally, it was not Sloan's idea to make a crappier car. It began with making styling changes every year so that buyers could immediately look at a car and recognize that it was newer - while car made in 1921 may have been exactly the same mechanically as one made in 1922, you would know the 1922 just by looking at its exterior.

I'm not saying this began those years. It probably started sometime after Sloan became president of GM in 1923. Nothing I can find shows a starting year. But by 1927, Henry Ford, who was resistant to changes in the industry, was making Model A cars for the 1928 model year.