Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesSan Francisco · 1 month ago

If I lived in the suburbs of Oakland, CA (Piedmont, CA) but moved to inner city Oakland in my 20s can I say I'm from Oakland?

I grew up in the suburbs but have lived in the hood in Oakland since 23. I'm 27 now and still live here, should I tell people I'm from Oakland? Or should I still say Piedmont since I grew up there...I'd rather say Oakland especially since most people outside of northern California don't know where Piedmont is, plus Oakland is known for their music, culture, etc.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Flower
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Say Oakland Hills. Sounds better. Even people in So Cal never heard of Piedmont or most of the cities around the Bay Area.

• 1 month ago

You can if you want to.

• 1 month ago

You can say you're from Oakland since Piedmont is kind of in Oakland. Many people who aren't from California may not even know what Oakland is but will recognize San Francisco.

• Brian
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

I'm from the UK, because i grew up here, if i move to the U.S it means i live there but i'd still be from the UK as thats where i spent my formative years.Sounds a bit like you may be trying to sound cool or tough to people (your statment the hood?), be proud of where your from, dont try to be somthing your not.

• Brian
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

Point taken but if your from a small town on the edge of London you cant claim to specifically be from a rough inner city area in terms of your upbringing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I don't see why not, I mean you do live there

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.