Why does cabon steel need plastic deformation?

Please help me out!!! Urgent!!!

Why does carbon steel need plastic deformation?

• qrk

I doesn't need plastic deformation. Plastic deformation is a property of the material.

It does not need plastic deformation, We need it as a material characteristic of steel. It means the material can respond to a stress by permanently deforming. That will weaken the material, thinning or warping it from its design and if often a prelude to failure. If the deformation processes do not re-occur, then you have potentially saved yourself from a failure. It also can give you an indication of impending failure it you notice it on inspection. And if the failure does happen, it tends to minimize the area of the failure, staring with a small break. In a pipe, this is called "leak-before-break" and the leak itself is an indicator of failure before a catastrophic failure with two completely open ends.

Carbon steel doesn't need plastic deformation to function. It can be very happy at loads below plastic deformation.

TO AVOID IT BECOMES VERY BRITTLE.

• John

That would be news to me.