Can my ex stop me from picking my child up from nursery?

So today I was asked to pick up my child from nursery by his mother, me trying to be the civil nice guy said yes. I went to his nursery to pick him up and found out I'm not able to as she said said so. Is she allowed to do that? I am on his birth certificate and haven't done anything that should make them concerned for him when he is with me. I have my children 3-4 days a week and 2-3 nights. Thank you in advance, she's really making me feel like such a bad parent but i try so hard for my children and need to get educated on my rights so I can finally put this to an end. 

• 2 days ago

She asked you to pick up your child, then said you weren't allowed to?

Most schools have an approved parent/guardian pick up list, so you need to get your name on it if you are his father and have joint custody of him.

• KatieC
    2 days ago

If you never pick him up, she may have just not thought about putting your name on the list. If she didn’t, you can’t pick your son up even if you’re God himself. Think about it, though, that’s a good thing. How many kids wind up kidnapped by people who aren’t good parents? Just ask her to authorize you. I know that must feel crappy, but if she enrolled the child, then she has primary responsibility in the preschool’s eyes. If she refuses to authorize you (which I suspect she won’t since she asked you to pick him up), THEN you have a problem. 

• KatieC
      2 days agoReport

And...calling yourself the “civil nice guy” for simply picking up your son makes you sound like you’re trying to martyr yourself. It puts the whole question in a different light. 

I run a daycare center (May's Bilingual Preschool, www.MaysChineseSchool.com) in Michigan.  By Michigan law,  both parents have the right to visit the child at any time, unless a judge orders one of them not to.  

Here is the link of the law: 

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dhs/Child_Care_...

• Nathan

She is the mother, the child is her responsibility unless proven unable to care for it so she can stop you from seeing him

• Laurie

Yes, she can. The school does this for your child’s protection. You should thank them for following the rules.

No big deal. She just needs to add your name to the list.

• Lib.rare.ian
      1 month agoReport

It will happen if she wants you to pick up the child from the school. She can't have it both ways.

• Sparky

Are you sure it wasn't a misunderstanding?

I know that you must be designated as a parent or guardian in order for any childcare establishment to release a child into your care.

• y

She can, but you can counter with a court order. If there are no restrictions, she is not suppose to be able to prevent you from doing so, but these places side with caution.

• Thomas1 month agoReport

Court will have to be my next option, she can't keep doing this stuff to me

• P

Whomever signed the signup papers at the Daycare has to list "authorized pickups"   If she didn't put you on that list then you can't pick them up.   Ask her to put you on that list.  You can also get a lawyer establish formal joint legal custody in court (which you probably should have done as soon as you split with her)  and then file in court to be an authorized pickup.   You would be extremely likely to succeed in court, but it is expensive and it would be easier if she just put you on the list.  

• P
      1 month agoReport

WIth unreasonable people like that you have to get your rights established in court and then sue her for legal expenses and additional custody when she breaks those rights.   At some point they will realize they are not as powerful as they think. 

• kelvin

actually yes she can as long as she tells the place where you pick them up from