Never
Lv 7

Liquid Fire Drain Cleaner?

Cannot read instructions on the bottle or find it online.

i have a very slow clogged kitchen drain. Should I pour into it with water or wait overnight?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Pour it in staright from the bottle and leave it for a few hours, overnight is best. Those chemical cleaners rely on being concentrated to do their work in the pipes. Any water you add will just dilute the chemicals. There will be water in the drain anyway.

• 1 month ago

pour into water. wait 20 minutes. if it hasn't apparently drained, wait more. Flush with hot water when you can

• 1 month ago

If you haven't done so already, I'd try unclogging the drain by mechanical means first. A plunger can work well for this, or a closet auger (sometimes called a toilet auger). In a pinch, one of the "zip strip" devices might work, though these are mostly only effective on hair clogs, which is unlikely in your kitchen.

Chemical drain cleaners have a number of drawbacks. Firstly, they aren't terrifically effective. Secondly, they are corrosive, and will eat up metal pipes, fittings, garbage disposals, etc. Thirdly, they are crazy dangerous. If you try the drain cleaner and it does not work, you will have a sink and drain full of hazardous chemicals that will continue to corrode your plumbing and give off toxic fumes. This can cause a lot of damage, presents a significant hazard, and it will largely prevent you from then trying a mechanical method to clear the drain without serious risk to yourself.

Of all the mechanical methods, I find the closet auger to be the most reliable. It's essentially a shorter, hand-powered version of the Roto-Rooter type snake that a plumber would use. You can get one for about $10 from the store, and they're infinitely reusable.

• Dave B.
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I'm so glad the plunger worked! The drain cleaners are "safe" for metal pipes and fittings assuming they clear the clog quickly, which does not always happen. More importantly, if they don't work, they leave you with a sink full of caustic chemicals which has to be dealt with.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.