Am I responsible,for damage done to a vehicle that I and another person barrowed,when I didn't do the damage,but am being accused of it?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

If you co-borrowed the car you are both responsible and liable for it

• car253
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Do YOU have auto insurance on your own car ? If you do YOUR auto insurance might pay for the damage. I assume that since the owner is taking you to court the owner does NOT have collision coverage to fix their own car ?? If the owner has collision coverage they should go through their own auto insurance company. If they have no collision coverage and you have no auto insurance for your own car, then you will have to pay out of your own pocket.

If you have your own auto insurance, your company may pay.

• 1 month ago

Can the owner of the car prove it? The answer to that is the answer to your question.

• 1 month ago

Of course you are. When you borrow a vehicle and return it with damage, that is your responsibility.

Attachment image
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

What do you think the judge will say? Next time, buy your own car. Your vfriend will take you to small claims. And win.

• May
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Yes, of course you are responsible. Who do you suppose should be responsible? Me? Mr Jones?

Jeez.... :>(

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. It is an unwritten rule.

You got possession of the car, so are responsible where TF you park it. Otherwise the car would be back in its driveway unscathed by such damage.

That is the gamble the owner is taking on you and what you are also taking.

• 1 month ago

You were responsible for the car when you borrowed it that makes it the same as would the owner you borrowed it from. By borrowing the car you took on the responsibility of taking care of it.

• 1 month ago

Not sure of if the damage occurred while you’d borrowed the vehicle, or if you have a timestamped image of it while you’d borrowed it, which you prob don’t. Since the person has insurance for the damage, it’s prob covered (with a deductible necessary) but you have no recourse other than small claims court if you feel it’s unjust.

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It depends on the agreement/conversation. If she truly loaned the vehicle to both of you, then yes, you are both responsible for any damage that occurred while you had custody of the vehicle.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.