The jungle telegraph seems to have caught up with the fact I got married this summer. Should I reply to all who sent gifts & cards?

I mean there are masses of cards already and we've only been back a fortnight. Would an e-mail to my students who gave me something be sufficient or would that look Scrooge like?

• Foofa
    Best Answer

You have to sit down and write out a legit thank you card for every gift you received. If you can't be bothered you'll have to hire one of the many services that'll do this for you and make it seem sincere.

Of course you should write and thank each and every person for their gifts and well wishes. This is what your mother should have taught you when your were receiving presents as a child.

Yes you should reply to everyone who sent something and try to personalize it too.

Always handwrite and mail a thank you card to someone who gave you a gift.

An emailed or social media “hey thanks for your good wishes!” is fine for someone who just sent a card or offered verbal/text/online congratulations. Or call or text them to say thanks for thinking of you.

• You should send thank you notes to every one who gave you gifts or cards if they had money in them.

You can send it via email but I think it's more personal to send a written note.

• Jerry

Send a short handwritten thank you note to each person who gave you a gift. Exception: If it was a "from all of us gift" like from your softball team or workplace, then "to all of you" thank you letter is OK.

We don't send thank you notes for letters (or cards) expressing congratulations, best wishes, etc. But it would be thoughtful to personally acknowledge the letter (or card) if you see the sender.

If you already know how to write thank you notes, then this shouldn't be such a big deal. Unless you write slowly &/or think slowly, you can dash off these letters in less than 2 minutes each, and that includes addressing the envelope.

Dear ___, The [stylish, colorful, unique, lovely, etc] ___ you sent adds so much [style, color, beauty, convenience, pleasure, etc.] to our [home, living room, kitchen, meals, time together, movie nights, cleaning day, etc.]. [Spouse's name] joins me in thanking you for your [thoughtfulness, generosity, kindness, etc.] Yours truly, ____

That's it, quick & easy.

• g

Troll doll, every gift requires a personal thank you note, not an email. You don't have to send a thank you for a card.

• carrie

I think it is polite to thank people who bought you a gift personally, an email would be acceptable to the people who sent a card.