Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

My ex took my car when we broke up. What's the best way to get it back without reporting it stolen?

In Oklahoma. My girlfriend is bipolar and became abusive, so I broke up with her. She got violent to me, then took my car and left. Everything is 100% in my name. I know I can report it stolen but I don't want her to get arrested and get a record over it. At the same time, I don't feel safe going to get it by myself. What should I do?


I ended up having to call the police. She tried to physically attack me in front of the cops. I did get the car back but it is not in great shape. I should have just reported it stolen immediately. Thank you to all the answers, both serious and otherwise.

19 Answers

  • Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best Answer

    If you have a key, can't you go in the middle of the night? If not, tell her as nicely as possible that if she doesn't return it, you will have no choice but to call the police.

    Even then, you could try going to the police and explaining your situation. Maybe they don't want to charge her either (less paperwork). In that case they would just go and talk to her.

  • zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    The best way and smartest way is to report it to the police, he needs an education!

  • 1 month ago

    Put the title in your pocket to prove it is your car if needed. Go to get it. If she tires to stop you call the police and show them the title proving it is yours. They will keep her away while you drive off.

    If you do not want to go get it, contact a wrecker that also does repo and they will get it for you, but it will cost you.

  • 1 month ago

    If you are in communication with her you can explain that you don't want to but she has put you in a position where you will be forced to report it stolen if she doesn't return it. Give her a deadline and hope that she becomes lucid somewhere in that time period.

    Unfortunately as someone else already mentioned the police probably won't do much. If you know where the car is they will accompany you to pick it up and give her a talk but they more than likely will not report it as stolen because you gave her the keys. She can always claim that you gave it to her and are now changing your mind, that there was a misunderstanding, that you are being vindictive because of a break up, etc.

    Source(s): Been in this exact situation
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    In situations like this, the police usually wont get involved, because the car was not really "Stolen". It was "borrowed" and not returned, and the police will say "this is a domestic issue between you and her".

    You must be a real sissy if you're afraid to go get your own car. GROW some gonads pal.

  • 1 month ago

    Have sex reassignment surgery and get your dick off and dress up like a girl. She'll never know you in lipstick and wearing a dress and high heels. Then jump into the car and drive away.

  • 1 month ago

    If it would feel safer, you could maybe go with a bunch of friends for backup. Good luck, and stay safe.

  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    If you can't get her to return the car on her own, then you may not have a choice but to get the police involved.

  • Shay
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    You could try to contact her or her family.

    Tell them you are giving her one day to return the car or you will report it stolen.

    HOWEVER - consider this - if you don't report the car as stolen and she does major damage to the vehicle - then you may not be able to recover the loss with your insurance or press charges at that point because you had made no report when it first happened.  

  • Phil M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Report it stolen.

  • 1 month ago

    i would report it anyways, she has no business stealing it like that

    • Anon1 month agoReport

      So is her destroying it and ins. wont cover as not reported "missing".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.