Tricks to paint walls edge at ceiling?

Any tricks to paint the top of walls at the edge of the ceiling. I've seen those "edgers" on television and they look so easy. I had to use rollers on the wall and now a brush along the ceiling and base board trim.

Our ceiling it not smooth or we could use tape or the edger. Our ceiling is popcorn so the wheels on the edger will likely dislodge some of the popcorn creating a bigger issue.

An angle brush may be it.

I used an angle brush on the baseboard trim which is different than along popcorn ceiling.

• chris
    Best Answer

A lot of people I know just use good painters tape and take the time to get it perfect. I'm not that picky so I just do it freehand. but, you did make me think about "how" I do it!

When I dip the brush, I lightly wipe both sides. Then, I start each stroke about 1/2" away from the line. I put the most pressure on the back (or leading end) of the brush until the front (or trailing) end is just resting on the wall as I draw the brush toward myself with the handle angled slightly downward causing the line side of the brush to be angled up toward the line. Once I get a smooth even flow, I move the brush toward the line and slowly go along watching the outer most bristles ride along the line. As soon as the flow begins to break, I swoop away from the line and dip again. The next stroke should start 2-3 inches back into the last stroke and keep repeating along the wall.

The worst part I have found, is painting inside corners. For these, I normally smoosh the brush at a 45 deg angle and wiggle it into the corner the best I can.

Masking tape, a good brush and a steady hand. Those rolers you see on TV are useless.

As I have high ceilings I created a freize which I paint in with the ceiling. I can paint down to the picture rail with a roller. Same with the walls which are painted up to the rail. The only thing I need to paint carefully is the picture rail itself.

Good time to stop drinking alcohol.

You need a surgeons hands to be STEADY.

Use a 2 1/2" angle sash brush which is all around useful for cutting in on ceilings around door and window casings and other.

That is the only trick I have ever used. Paint using the tip of the brush , so only dip in paint a half inch and knock off excess before you apply to wall. Takes practice.

• glcang

Get a good brush like a Purdy sash brush and when you cut the line put pressure on the brush so it spreads to the edge you want...it’s easy

i use an edger that i picked up at the same place i buy my paint. bit tricky to use since you have to be on a stepladder to do it and take care to not get paint on the little wheels.

Source(s): grampa
  • bond

And brush works best, after you do 10ft you get good at it.

I just use a good brush. I ever had luck with the so call tools.

Having a steady hand is helpful