What if i dont  what student loans? Please help?

What if I refuse the loans on the fafsa? What if I dont want debt even though their need based loans?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You say no.

Our girls were offered loans. They said no. They got some money in Pell grants, and we and they worked to make sure they graduated debt free.

• ...Show all comments
    • Quite right. It can happen this way, but remember that every student has their own financial information. Even siblings can differ. The cost of the school matters. Glad you figured this out. No kid needs to be tens of thousands of dollars in debt at age 22. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

You don't have to take on any debt you don't want to. Simply pay cash to your university instead of taking out loans. The FAFSA just shows what you qualify for, not what you have to take.

• ...Show all comments
    • Not true. You don't need to see the FAFSA again. You will get the results via mail and e-mail if desired. The results are called the Student Aid Report (SAR). This will tell you if you may qualify for Pell Grant, an EFC and if you are selected by the government for verification. Need FAO to get #s.

• RICK
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

So don't accept thm

They are not mandatory

• martha4 months agoReport

So can you get a grant instead depending on income?

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

A need based loan is just that...a need based loan. That you still need to repay at some point. BEWARE. You'll probably be paying for the rest of your life and from beyond the grave. Don't be fooled by the word "need". The ones who need them most are the ones who are least likely to be able to repay them and will wind up suffering in a perpetual cycle of hardship and severe poverty...

• John4 months agoReport

How long it takes to pay it back depends on the payment plan you choose.  I got mine paid off in 10 years, with no trouble at all.  If you make smaller payments under a different payment plan it would take much longer, for sure.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

you could try for grants or scholarships

• 4 months ago

Loans aren't mandatory.

Lv 7
    4 months ago

Then refuse. It's totally your decision. My oldest son takes all the subsidized loans he can get and invests the funds. My younger son simply declines the loans.

Nobody is forcing you to go into debt.

• di
      Lv 4
      4 months agoReport

subsidized loans are for educational expenses, not investment purposes... your son actually signed a statement attesting to the fact that he will use the funds for educational expenses ONLY: his action is in violation of Title IV aid regulations.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

So do not accept the loans. What answer are you seeking?

• ...Show all comments
    • John4 months agoReport

You have asked this question about a hundred times. The answer is STILL the same, and will continue to be. You cannot haggle your financial aid. You are offered what you qualify for. If you don't want it, then you figure out a way to come up with tens of thousands of dollars on your own. Period.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.