Has this happened to anyone else?

So I found out I am having identical twins. 

But no twins run in my family or spouses family.

I’m only in my early 20s, and I’m not fat at all, I’ve actually struggled with eating disorders most of my life. And I’ve never gone through any fertility treatment. 

I just want to know how and why this happened, because twins happen in women over 35, or who have undergone IVF or who are overweight etc. 

It's not true for identical twins, but it is true for fraternal twins.

Unlike identical twins, who both come from the same fertilized egg, fraternal twins develop from two different eggs released at the same time. (Although they have the same birthday, fraternal twins are genetically no more alike than any other sibling.) The tendency to release more than one egg in a single cycle (hyperovulation) is a genetic trait that can be passed from mother to child.

Twins can happen to anyone, period. It's just that they are more likely to happen in women who are either twins themselves, or who are the daughter of a twin. I'm willing to bet that someone somewhere in your family tree was a twin or had twins.You just don't know about it, that's all.

• John P

With your limited knowledge of statistics concerning the incidence of twins, all that needs to be said is: "Mother Nature sometimes likes to spring surprises".

And where did you get the notion that only women of over 35 or who have those other characteristics have twins?

Many twins are born in countries where IVF is unheard of, and in that sort of country obesity is seldom a problem, but malnourishment often is.

• B1 month agoReport

Then creating more life because their body is trying to produce a baby. So. I was just wondering if anyone as young as I am with health problems like I do has had twins. So **** you very much sir and good day.

Identical twins is one egg that split.  It is NOT a hereditary issue.  You can't "inherit" the ability to have identical twins.

Identical twins is also NOT the result of fertility treatments.  Fertility treatments can result in the release of multiple eggs.  Identical twins are caused by ONE egg that splits.

There is no weight limit or age limit to being able to conceive twins.  Just because it might be more likely at certain ages does not mean it can't happen at younger ages.

Identical twins are not hereditary, and are not the result of fertility treatments.

Why on earth would you think twins only happen to women over 35 or women who are overweight?

• Pippin

Identical twins are not genetic and have nothing to do with fertility treatment. They just happen.

It is fraternal twins that can be influenced by family history, fertility treatments, or age

(My friend had two sets of identical twins -- in two pregnancies. The first at 19, the second in her early 30's. She was a medical anomaly...)

• helene

Identical twins happened to my mother when she was 24 and skinny.

How it happened---your egg got fertilized and then split in two during the first few cell divisions. This happens in about 1 in 200 births, and there are not LIMITS on who it can happen to, as you seem to think.

There is no why. It just happens.

Identical twins are always a spontaneous event.

The type of twins which can run in families are fraternal twins - when a woman releases more than one egg at a time, and two eggs are fertilized.

• Starlight 1
      1 month agoReport

Identical twins can also run in families. I know, because I have a relative who is a twin, and his twin has twins.