Rose asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

What is a serving of fruit? Research is all different!?

I have read nutrition articles for years and years but the information is different.

- some say a serving of leafy greens is 1 cup and others say 2

- some say a serving of fruit is 2 plums and others say 3 prunes 

- some say 2 celery stalks is a serving some say 5

- some say a serving of broccoli is 1 cup some say 5 florets

- some say 1 small apple others say 1 large apple

- some say 8 strawberries while others say 5.

- some say 1 cup of juice and others say 8 oz wtf is it??

Why is it so various on the quantity?? I understand it shouldn't matter as long as you're doing your best to eat as much as possible but what gives??

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

80 grams. One 80-gram serving is equivalent to a small piece about the size of a tennis ball. For fruits and vegetables that can be measured by the cup, a serving is roughly 1 cup.

The general recommendation for fruit and vegetable intake is at least 400 grams per day, or five servings of 80 grams.

• Pontus
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

whether or not it's raw, cooked, dried, etc also matters. A cup of cooked broccoli weighs more than a cup of raw broccoli, for example.

• 1 month ago

How much intake you receive when you eat fruit. For example, how many calories? How much does it weigh? How many carbohydrates? How many grams of sugar, saturated fats, etc.

• 1 month ago

If it is that important to you I'd suggest finding a chart that gives calories by weight rather than volume and use a small scale to weigh out your food.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.