Ellie asked in PetsReptiles · 1 month ago

My baby corn snake feels cold when I hold him, but he has a heat mat and lamp. He just won t go on them. What s wrong?

Keep in mind that your hand is 37 deg. C. if your snake's body temperature is less than your body temperature, it will feel cold to your hand. In the wild, some snakes have been measured with body temperatures about 32 deg. C. Therefore they prefer body temperatures that are quite a few degrees lower than the human body temperature. Besides, scientists measured the critical thermal maximum of many reptiles, and found that they will be disabled (or ecologically dead since they would be unable to escape predators) if their body temperature exceeds about 41 deg. C. Indeed, many snakes go into estivation during the hottest parts of the summer to avoid being overheated.

I agree with Mrs. Frankenstein. My corn snake doesn't like heat that much either, and I barely ever see her go to her heating pad.

Might be too hot for him in there. There is such a thing for snakes. They don't want to be 100+ degrees all the time. 

Try removing one or the other. Also, many times, snakes just use the heat side to digest after they have eaten. My corn is 10 years old, big, long, and healthy and she honestly HATES the heat. She only goes on that side when she's just eaten, and even then, only for a whopping 2 hours. I see her in there mostly when it's mating season, too. She's not fond of the heat and only uses it out of necessity. 

Snakes, especially snakes that are from crazy regions around the states (like corns, they can be found all over the place and even in places where temps plummet) are not one size fits all. They have preferences. Some love the heat, some hate it, and some are in between.

Move the light farther away and mount it so that it shines sideways but leaves shadows. That way it can regulate how warm it wants and can move to the shadows when it seems too hot. Be careful - IR heat lamps can be very hot.