How do I bend aluminum?

I want to make a custom face plate for my hair clippers but in order for the aluminum I cut to go on my clippers, I need to slightly bend it. So basically I have a 6 by 2 inch flat aluminum piece that I need to slightly bend on the sides and bottom. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance. I attached an example of what I'm trying to achieve.

Favorite Answer

You have to anneal aluminium before you bend it. You rub a bar of ordinary soap on it where the bend will be. Then you heat the metal with a gas blowlamp until the soap turns black. Stop heating straightaway as it will melt if you continue. I know this sounds strange but it is the correct procedure for those that know. Tap gently with a hammer over a metal edge such as a vice or similar.

• Anton

Flat aluminum, want a curve, you need an anvil and hammer. Or maybe a vice.

I had experience in aluminum parts at Douglas. Not a problem. For me. For you? Who knows.

• Petter

Simle answer, you can't. (unless you get like special equipment). It's like trying to bend glass, it will only break.