Did I do the right thing by breaking up with my boyfriend?

My boyfriend and I were in an argument, and he told me he wanted to "smash my face into the pavement." I broke up with him right then and there as I feel like he just went way too far, even if he was just talking "out of anger." Did I overreact or make the right choice?
Update: Thank you all for your support. The cherry on top is he's now telling me I'm overreacting and that he didn't actually say that...🙄 I'm just losing more respect for him by the minute.
Update 2: He finally admitted he said it but is saying he never said he was going to but rather said, "I'm so frustrated that I could..." as though that somehow excuses any of it. He apologized and said he would never actually hurt me but just wanted to hurt my feelings with his words in the moment because of... show more He finally admitted he said it but is saying he never said he was going to but rather said, "I'm so frustrated that I could..." as though that somehow excuses any of it. He apologized and said he would never actually hurt me but just wanted to hurt my feelings with his words in the moment because of how I was making him feel. He's never laid a finger on me or anyone else so this all just comes as a shock.