Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 month ago

For a custom build gaming computer should I store games to an SSD or use a regular hard disk drive?

I ve been a little confused about this. I see a lot of people store there games onto a secondary hard disk drive instead of a solid state drive on they re custom builds but some people are telling me to use an SSD for both the system drive and for gaming. But is that bad for an SSD? Which is better, using an SSD or using a hard disk drive for storing games?

Better, which is more ideal?

I have now only an SSD in mine. HDD are out of date & SSD's are getting cheap as chips.

You'll have got the message, it's all about space management. SSDs start much faster than mechanical hard drives so that is where you'd need to keep stuff that actually NEEDS to be quick-starting, such as the operating system. Most people have relatively small SSDs due to the cost of large ones (though they're getting cheaper) and games nowadays can be very large and take more space than is sensible on an SSD.

Personally I'm not a gamer but I keep my music, videos and documents etc. files (of which there are a lot) on the mechanical hard drive from which they're not worryingly slow to open, reserving the SSD for the OS and programs themselves.

• Fulano

The SSD simply affects the load time.

Some games I have take 30 seconds to load up from a mechanical drive, but only a couple seconds on the SSD.

Some games take a long time to save, I usually try to put those on the SSD.

Some games take tons of GB of space, and large SSDs are very expensive, so people put them on the mechanical drive so they don't fill up the SSD.

Some games I have don't load any faster from the SSD because the game's data is highly compressed which means the computer is waiting on the CPU to process the data to load the game. Those might as well be on the mechanical drive.

If you've go the money, it's easier to just get a huge SSD and put everything on one drive and use a 2nd drive for data backup, but not many of us can afford that.

• P

Ideally you want everything on an SSD, but many gamers don't want to spend the money on a 2tb SSD so they buy a regular hard drive for the game installs.  It doesn't take many games to fill it up.  For example Elder Scrolls Online can easily eat up 200GB.  

• Marduk

I put the OS and important programs on the SSD.  Games are not important to me and go on the HDD. 

Put the installed files on the SSD.

Store games on a SSD as it has faster read write speeds than a normal HDD. If you can use a NVMe SSD then store them on that as most NVMe's are at least 3 times faster and some are up to 7 times faster than SSD's.

SSD's are roughly 3 times faster than HDD's.

I do both. I store the games that my brother and I play the most on the SSD and the games we don't play as frequently on the HDD. Some games do benefit from being loaded from an SSD and others not so much.

Just be advised that a lot of PC games nowadays are pretty large. When GTA V came out on PC, it was around 65 GB. Now 4 years later it has grown to 85-86 GB due to all of the updates, patches, and DLC they've introduced over the years. So if you plan on using your SSD for game storage, make sure you get one with a good amount of storage. Depending on how many games and how big they are, even 1Tb may not be enough.

Technically it won't make much of a difference. Programs load a bit faster from an SSD - but they are much more expensive. Most SSD system disks today are 256 or 500 GB. New games get larger and larger - soon you'll need more than 1 TB.