Nick asked in Games & RecreationBoard Games · 1 month ago

Chess openings that punish oponent going off book?

Hi,

My favorite opening has always been the french defense and I am looking for something much more aggressive for either white or black to really master. the opening also doesn't need to be 100 percent sound.

I am looking for a very complex opening that can have many lines that result in big losses for my opponent, not just small improvements in tempo/position if he doesn't follow an exact order off moves (same will go for me off course) if he manages to get through a whole set off moves correctly where the smallest misstep can result in disaster and it results in a slightly favorable position for him that is totally okay (would love to later on study how to make the best out off those positions as well).

• Pyrus
    Best Answer

The King's gambit with white is very deadly. You'd think white is giving away their king side, when they're actually trying to lure black into a trap. Study that one well. Another interesting and complex opening is the English opening with c4. The opening can translate to a lot of other positions, but yea, black should choose their moves wisely.

For black, you can try going for something like Thraxler's variation when playing an Italian gambit, but it's very risky and doesn't always work against very strong players. The Sicilian defense is a very nice opening as well, especially if you get to unleash that dragon. These are all dependent on the white playing first of course.

One other opening you can try against someone who plays d4 is c6, trying to transpose the opening to a Caro-Kann or Slav variation instead of simply going to the standard Queen's Gambit.

• James
    6 days ago

Any opening can be defended against properly if one knows it well.  Contrariwise, any opening can put you at a disadvantage if you don't know how to play it properly.The whole concept of chess openings has arisen from the notion of an equal exchange in the opening.  It's a bit like asking what car is best for getting you from A to B.  It depends on your subjective driving style and preferences.

If you play the opening better than your opponent, you will have the advantage.  If not, they will.

There are some games when I pushed resign then a warning come from the board. They don't like that.

kings gambit is notorious for this.

I'm just scared af and I chested and I'm sure