Dont turn off your pc. This will take a while. Your pc will restart several times.?

I've just bought a new laptop yesterday and it has got win10 already and there was an update  so i clicked on it to update to the latest win10.

And now im stuck on that working on updates screen. It's been more than an hour now. I was wondering if there's something wrong or is it just a normal process?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

That's the problem with Windows 10. You will get used to it. It needs updating every month and it can take hours if it hasn't been updated recently.

And don't believe the timers. It times down at odd rates. Sometimes fast sometimes slow, then when it gets to zero it can restart again.

In the future it would be best to select automatic update so it does a bit at a time in the middle of the night.

• 1 month ago

Depends on the update. While most will complete in under a minute, there are some that can take 10 to 15 minutes. And a couple of times a year Microsoft releases a "Creator Update" (what they use to call a "service Pack") that can take as long as 2 to 3 hours to update.

If this is a new computer, it is possible that it has multiple updates it has to run. Most computer makers never update the version of Windows they install on their computers, plus it could have been setting a warehouse for months before you bought it, so often the version that comes with a new computer is out of date.

The fact that is says "Your PC will restart several times" tells me this is most likely the update from Win 10 1803 to Win 10 1926. Depending on the speed of your Internet connection, it can take up to 3 hours to complete. And it will reboot the PC a couple of times as it nears the end of the process.

If it goes for more than three hours, then you will have no option but to force a reboot by holding the power button. But I would give it that long before you do it. If it is the 1926 update, it will start all over again.

(25+ years in IT support. Do this daily for a living.)

• don r
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Be patient. There is an awful lot of work for the computer to finish.

• Enigma
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yes,it will take a while so let it update and install. If you stop it then it could damage the OS and then there will be no PC 4 U.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yeah, sounds about right. Mine took about 3 hours to download and update itself fresh out of the box.

• 1 month ago

It depends on the update. Most are short but there have been a few that took several hours.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

some updates take a long time

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.