Popsicle asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 1 month ago

I'm American and this guy from London is here on Visa ?

Anyway we've become close but yesterday I was talking about the weather and he said oh we use celcius not farenheit because we're not stupid. Was he joking around or insulting me?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best Answer

That says more about him than anything, and is more a reflection of his age.

Celsius and Fahrenheit are both perfectly good scales, and the UK used Fahrenheit until relatively recently. I well remember in the 1970s when Mum got a new oven, it was in Celsius and she needed a conversion table to use her cookbooks. Fortunately the manufacturer provided lots of them on stickers so we could have one on every cookbook.

The government has been trying to make us "go metric" for the last 50 years and hasn't succeeded yet. Using Celsius is part of this, and yet even at my age (I'm only 54), I still think in both systems.

• Bear
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I'm 59,and have never used Fahrenheit,apart from knowing the freezing point of water and its boiling point.

• 1 month ago

We sometimes use both Celsius and Fahrenheit, as we used to use Fahrenheit, particularly in Cooking. Now we’ve shifted more towards Celsius!

• Burgoo
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

the english never really joke around, and they love condescending to americans, he hates you

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Actually spelled "Celsius", with capital "C". And you should note that most of the world uses Celsius degrees, sometimes called Centigrade. It is notable that North America is the last significant bastion of the use of Fahrenheit degrees.

In Russia before the 1920s they used the slightly larger Reaumur degrees; zero was the freezing point of water, and 80 was boiling.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Joking around. It means he's accepted you as a friend. Being able to handle someone offering you an opportunity to self-deprecate (should you want to) is one of the keys to fitting in here. Even foreign diplomats who have had tens of thousands spent on their education seldom get it.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He was insulting you.

• 1 month ago

A little bit of both but not so much at you as at Americans in general.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

He is pulling your leg about the fact that almost the rest of the World uses Celsius. 

Fahrenheit remains the official scale for the following countries: the Bahamas, Belize, the Cayman Islands, Palau and the United States and associated territories (Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands).

• John P
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Note that, apart from the USA, those territories are on the small side!

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Just the Metric way to measure temperature .....................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.