Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 month ago

why do people scrunch down when riding a motorcycle?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • adam
    Lv 4
    5 days ago

sport bike riders do that. Real bikers on real bikes dont. 

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Streamlining like the shape of a supercar. Less wind resistance allows the bike to go faster and you fly like a bullet.

• 1 month ago

It's a vacuum-effect. The air getting sucked into the engine creates a void that needs to be filled so the air going in sucks the rider forward.

It's called the Hoover-factor. It sucks but that's life.

• 1 month ago

Snow, wind, rain, sand, gravel, mud, bugs, birds, wild and domestic animals, falling branches and leaves. heat, cold, footpeg and handlebar position, fatigue and diarrhea.

• Exoplanet
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

The diarrhea adds to the forward velocity. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Sir Isaac.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • olivia
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

So, endorphins give us that joyous feeling but, after a ride, there's also that sense of relief, like a weight has been lifted. This is similar to mindfulness meditation: Body position, speed, road position - on a motorcycle you're constantly analyzing and adjusting depending on the situation.

• 1 month ago

Well, sport bikes tend to have low handlebars, tall seats and high foot pegs so you don't really have a choice (Check the picture).

With that said; I often lean forward slightly on the highways, to make the journey a little more comfortable.

I'm a tall man @ 6'2" and sitting upright on my Suzuki V-Strom 650 while doing 100+ (60 MPH) isn't exactly easy. The windshield on my bike is kinda small for a man of my size; hence at high speeds the wind blasts right at my head and pushes it backward which is kinda agonizing at extended periods, if you ask me!

Leaning a bit forward makes the journey MUCH more tolerable.

Attachment image
    • armouror
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

On a Vincent Rapide you sit upright and do 140 mph quite normal

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

less wind drag .

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

People riding racing motorcycles, when racing, scrunch down to cut wind drag.

A lot of people buy "sport" bikes to pretend to be racers, or to actually illegally race on the streets.

Riding scrunched down is not comfortable. Which is why good streeet riders do not.

• armouror
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

sorry i never scrunched down Just leaned forward in a Racing Position

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you're riding a "crotch rocket" you HAVE to lean forward to reach the handlebars and hand controls.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Lean forward and the air movement supports your chest. Depending on the bodywork you can change the aerodynamic turbulence behind your helmet and reduce neck discomfort.

Plus it looks cool unless you are doing 20mph

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.