Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

My mums a teacher and she’s really strict? ?

So my mums a high school teacher. She teaches at my school, I’m in a few of her classes and she is extremely strict. She’s also quite old fashioned and boring. She doesn’t allow the class to have fun it’s all just silence and work. If someone is naughty she instantly gives detention without even a warning. She’s even given me detention! My friends always say no to coming over to my house.because they know how stern she is. She’s told most of them off and now they think she’s horrible. She also never allows me out unless I’ve completed all homework. And done extra schoolwork because she also gives me some every evening. What do I do? 

• God
    Best Answer

Your mom is a good teacher.  She demands that students pay attention and do their work.  If more teachers were like your mom people would not graduate from high school without being able to read.

I know it sucks. I would absolutely hate not being able to separate my work and home life, especially if my mom was negatively impacting my friendships like that. It's probably too late in the semester now to change classes but the fact she is your mom is actually an effective reason for the school to change your classes (say it's a conflict of interest and that your mom is biased - for better or worse - towards you). It shouldn't get your mom in trouble but they will probably give you another teacher (most schools actually prefer that parents don't teach their child so they shouldn't have a problem with it unless there are no other teachers)

As for her strictness, it's not really the best situation but one thing I learned is that you can't change the kind of person your parents are. The fact that she doesn't let you out until you've done your homework is not that bad and actually pretty normal. But i'm guessing that you could live with that and it's more the other things that are bugging you. If you just get through this semester talk to your guidance councilor and you can make sure you don't have her again as your teacher and this will help with a lot of your issues but it won't fix everything. As for your friends not wanting to come over, you could try to make an agreement with your mom that she stays upstairs while you and your friends are downstairs or something like that, and then let your friends know. It might not work but it's worth a shot and there's not much else you can do. Hopefully you will get into the college you want and once you move out your relationship with your mom will actually become much better.

I know this isn't the best advice, but there's not really much else you can do. Best of luck with everything, I hope it all works out for you!

Suffer until adulthood, then take over your life.

• Katie

Your mum sounds almost perfect. EVERY lesson ONLY 1 person should talk - the teacher. ALL the students MUST be silent from the time they enter the classroom until they leave the classroom.

• Tavy

Good, and you will do well in the future because you have backup. Your friends will be unemployed and you will have a great career.

• audrey

Start saving every penny you can to move out the second you're 18! Sounds like an awful way to live.

Wait until you are an adult and live your own life with a strained relationship with your mother.

• You work hard, pay attention in class, do your homework and succeed in school. There's time for fun when you've done all that.