Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 month ago

Why do you answer questions on Yahoo Answers?

To get points? To help people? (And how do you know your answers are helpful or not?) Or just want to chat with others?

Or just to make yourself feel better if you think you're helping people?

Then why do you do this on YA? Not Quora or somewhere else 

• Best Answer

Answers allows me to pretend I’m not as dumb as I actually am. There are plenty of questions I can legitimately answer on here, probably because the only people who still use it regularly are either boomers or kids and the questions don’t require anything but common knowledge to answer.

I ask my “dumb” questions here (the ones I’d get hell for on other sites), difficult, serious questions on Quora, and random questions that may or may not get a serious response on reddit.

In any case, Answers is lousy with trolls (easy enough to ignore), and I’ve noticed a shift in “tone” over the years; people are unbelievably rude and nasty. You could be asking about how to make cookies and over half of the responses would be from some bitter, middle-aged people attacking you as a person without even mentioning the cookies (very probably because they’re too fat or too diabetic to eat cookies anymore).

Source(s): This site is a dinosaur and gots to go.

it kills time... an hour or two just flies by

Boredom.

Nothing else

• Boredom mostly.

To help people. I have Visited 55 countries including working in 7 Muslim countries spent 9 years RAF and 29 years RAAF and i feel i have plenty of experiences that could help Others

Points irrelevant  on a leaders board not wanted

Why do you ask questions on Yahoo Answers?

Because I earn points to answer questions every week

• .

It passes the time on a slow work day.

FYI, the site is for knowledge seeking questions, not chat (which is what your question is).

It's a bit of an all of the above matter I guess. Sometimes I genuinely try to help. Other times I'm just being silly. It depends on the question. They say there are no dumb questions, right. Why yes... yes there are.

• Matt

I do it because im bored at work. Sometimes I help, sometimes I troll. All depends on what level of stupidity the question lies on.

I’m lonely and this is the only human interaction I get all day.

If I don’t answer then I might start going crazy. It’s well known that the mind starts to deteriorate if there’s no human contact. Remember castaway where Tom hanks made a face out of a ball so he has someone to talk to.