Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 1 month ago

How come Canada so much safer than America?

Canada population is around 36 million, with about 600 homicides per year, in the WHOLE country. But just in a city like Chicago with the population under 3 million. Around 500-700 are killed every year in that one city alone!

22 Answers

Relevance
  • YKhan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best Answer

    The "right" to own guns is not part of the constitution here. So properly functioning, basic gun control laws can be enacted here. Guns can still be bought here, but you need to go through much more rigorous background checks. There are just as many angry people up here as there are down in the US, but the difference is that these "angry" people don't have a right to buy a gun.

    This results in everyone being a lot more calm and less trigger happy, including the police here. The police aren't involved in as many police shootings here.

    • Raoul1 month agoReport

      True, but it's not just about guns. Montréal, 8th largest city in North America, had only 22 homicides in all of 2019 -- 2 involved guns, both illegal.handguns. 

  • 1 month ago

    Better police officers the red coats actually Police their country as in serve and protect

  • 1 month ago

    ...gun control?

    • Raoul1 month agoReport

      Canadians have MORE guns per capita households than the USA does. -- But it is a form of gun control in that they are all long guns.  Do research before making blanket claims. 

  • 1 month ago

    The main reason is stricter gun control.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Orla C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Canada has some semblance of gun control, whereas in the US every looper can go buy a gun and nobody bats an eye.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    It's not. Toronto is a **** hole. Canada is far more white than America also. You just failed!!!!

    • YKhan
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

      Canada is far more diverse than America is. The immigrant population is upto 19%, whereas in the US its only 13%.

  • Nunya
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

    The racial demographics are different for America and Canada. In America, Black people are around 13% of the population and commit 55% of all violent crime. The remaining 45% is split between whites and more leaning towards Hispanics.(according to 2018 FBI statistics) You also picked a heavily black-majority city. 

    In Canada, Black people and Hispanics are around 2% of the population combined.

    • YKhan
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

      Blaming specific racial groups is useless, as Canada is much more diverse than America. It's a mix of middle-eastern, south asian, and East asian people up here, as well as blacks and hispanics.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Canadians are so polite even their criminals don’t use guns.

    • Raoul1 month agoReport

       
      True,, and it's not just about guns. Montréal, 8th largest city in North America,  had 22 homicides in all of 2019 -- 2 involved guns, both illegal.handguns. 

  • sam
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    Less gun and angry people

    • sam
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

      Fewer handguns and rare assault rifles. Tell the whole stpry

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    a lot less blacks. the key word here being LESS.

    • mike m
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

      Not politically correct, but true, The higher percentage of blacks, the crime rates increase. Just happens to be true everywhere!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.