Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

Can I object to my son's detention?

I don't think schools should hand out detentions because its not their job to discipline my child. How do I object to this?

You can object to your son's detention, but don't voice your objection in front of him. The reason your son is giving you for getting that detention may not be the real one. When you disrespectful the decisions made by your son's teacher, you are undermining her/his authority. You are actually encouraging your son to further misbehave. This will impact on his learning, but worse still, prevent other students from learning.

• Joe

Your kid screwed up. Don't be an idiot. Is that why your kid is turning into an idiot ?

• Kate

If your child did the wrong thing at school then of course it is the school's right to discipline him.

Teach your son to pay attention in class and not get into trouble would be a start. You say it's not their job to discipline your son, but apparently it is, because you aren't doing your job.

• Katie

ONLY bad parents object to detentions.

Excuse me for saying this, but without at least some discipline, schools would quickly cease to function. And you can object to the detention, but it will get you nowhere. Your son will still have to serve it if he wants to graduate. If you don't like that, then maybe you'd better consider home schooling him.

• Laurie

What DO you think they should do when your child breaks the rules or otherwise misbehaves? What do you think they should do to a student who mistreats another person? What do you think they should do if another student causes difficulty for your child?

Why are you more concerned about the school’s actions than your own son’s misbehavior?

Until you can constructively answer those questions, keep your mouth shut.

• Andy C

It's their job to maintain order so that other students can learn. Children learn from their parents.

Yours is learning that you don't recognize the school as an authority.

Congratulations, hope his prison sentences are short in the years to come.

• C

Go on, do it! Soon the school will find a reason to expel your son in order not to deal with the results of your lax parenting impacting the other students. Schools HATE parents like you.

Go in and talk to the teacher who gave your child a detention, they're people too so i'm sure they'd understand

• Andy C
      1 month agoReport

I am sure that the OP will understand.