Can I refuse for my child to attend an after school detention?

My child was given an after school detention simply cause she forgot her P.E shirt. I think it's a bit overkill on the schools behalf

Also I'm in California if that helps

Best Answer

Yes you can the government has no place to discipline your kids.

Yes you can but school can also suspend your child. Ultimately you're the child Guardian and you have the final say.

• John P

It depends on the law where you are. The only way to find out for sure is to consult a local fully qualified law person.

• Katie

No - by refusing you will make it worse.

• drip

You and your child should know the rules and policies of the school and of each class. And the consequences of not following those rules and policies.

You known all along that school do hand out punishments. From kindergarten on there are rules and consequences for not obeying those rules This isn’t a new thing,

• Laurie

It’s not your call.

What steps have you taken to make sure your child does not make the same error again? THAT is what YOU should be worrying about.

I'm pretty sure that you can stop your son from going to detention, yes.

Bring it up to the board. Talk to the principle. Threaten to sue. Go to every level of authority if you truly think this is a bit obsessive. All I received for my missing uniform were points off.

• Rick B

Sounds like she gets her sense of personal responsibility from her parent.