Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

Weddings: Is it ok to serve snacks instead of food?

For my wedding, I am not looking to spend a ton. Wedding begins at 4, ends at 9PM. I think the reception will probably begin at 5:45ish. I didnt note this on the invitation but since it ends at 9PM i think we should be ok. I am going to have oatmeal raisin cookies, brownies, veggie platters, chips, and pretzels. Juice soda and water for drinks. Itll save me and the hubs some big bucks- we werent going anywhere special on a honeymoon but this may help us go to H-A-W-A-I-I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Tara

Sounds like the snack menu needs revisited … changed.

You can do better than this - even with a limited budget .. you just need to talk to the right people .

Remember : you and every one will remember your wedding .. so make it a memory to be proud of.

It really is best to have hors d ovres. Or at least add a meat tray with the veggie tray. Do you have a grandmother or mother around to advise you would be better. Congratulations and Good Luck.

• Foofa

You can serve or not serve whatever you wish at your wedding reception. I've been to plenty of evening weddings where the receptions were just cocktail parties. The servers circulated with trays of canapés and such. Maybe you can do a little better than chips and pretzels (since you are blocking out five hours that include dinnertime). But it doesn't have to be expensive. Maybe order a few sandwich platters.

It's definitely not OK to serve kindergarten snacks at a wedding reception that takes place over the dinner hour. If you choose to do it anyway, you should make it clear that there will be no meal served. Also, the reality is that many people buy wedding gifts that are roughly the cost of what they'll be served at the wedding. Do you want to get plastic kitchenware? And are pretzels and cookies an acceptable thanks for someone who buys you a stand mixer ($200-ish)? You don't have to serve lobster, but if the wedding takes place over the dinner hour, serve dinner. Best of luck.

Timing is everything. If you were having the wedding and reception at, say, 2:00 in the afternoon, that would be no problem. 5:45, however, is pretty solidly dinner time. If you invite people over to your home at dinner time, you need to serve dinner. It's the same with a wedding (even more so, since it's a more formal and structured event). 

At the end of the day, your guests and their comfort come first. Managing their expectations with the correct time table means you can all win. If you really want to save money, that's fine. Just do the right thing and bump the reception back to earlier in the afternoon.

• GEEGEE

I'd be inclined to make it a cocktail hour, with appetizer foods like meatballs, shrimp, stuffed mushrooms, that sort of thing rather than cakes and cookies. You could have a minimal amount of champagne or a nice wine for a toast, and have the soft drinks after that.

• Eva

You are having your reception during hours that would normally include dinner. If you want a cocktail reception, it should be much shorter (no more than 2 hrs.) and include finger foods instead of what you've listed here. A cash bar should be offered. It would be odd for the wedding to be a 4 and the reception not until 5:45. Unless your wedding includes a full mass, you should be able to start the reception by 5.

• Kelly

No, your reception is during hours when most people eat dinner, you need to serve them a meal or have your reception earlier in the day.

My other issue is your menu here is mostly junk food, look at some healthier alternatives.

This is a teenager menu, when we were planning one of my daughters quince, she wanted similar foods and pizza so overall I'm calling BS on your question.

I guess if you're up front about it. The invitation should say "reception followiing, light hors d'ovurs, soft drinks and disk jockey. Expect to get several can openers and toasters.

I've been to a few weddings that do this, best to put out a couple meat trays too