Motherboard and processor question.?

What motherboard would be best for an Intel Core i7-9700 Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 4.7 GHz LGA1151 300 Series 65W and the AMD Radeon RX 5500 Series GPU

• Lv 7

if you're getting an AMD GPU, why not an AMD CPU?

also, you didn't say what you needed the computer to do...

that cpu will only work with a certain motherboard chipset. visit the Intel ARK and check its list of compatible products to find out what chipsets it works with. then you can go to any mainboard makers site and choose the board from that list mainboard chipsets. alternatively go to a site like pcpartpicker choose the cpu and it will offer you the rest of the products that are compatible with it.

Probably a board with the b360 or b365 chipset. You can go with z370 or z390 if you need the extra features such as more USB, SATA, and M.2 ports.

The i7-9700 has been out for a while so most 300-series boards on the market should work. However the z370, h370, b360, and h310 chipset came out before the CPU so a BIOS update may be required.

The h310 chipset is a poor value. For only a few dollars more you can get a b360 or b365 board which has more useful features like an M.2 port that runs at PCI-E x4 speeds, more RAM slots, etc.

The RX 5500 has only been announced and AMD withheld the price and they gave a vague answer about the performance. A 37% increase over the GTX 1650 puts the RX 5500 on par with a factory overclocked RX 580. The upside is the RX 5500 will consume less power. The downside is you'll have to deal with buggy RDNA drivers.

For gaming, the Ryzen 5 3600 and a better Graphics card would get you better gaming performance.

You might see the Core i7-9700k doing well in gaming reviews but keep in mind the regular i7-9700 isn't clocked as high as the 9700k. The only reason the 9700k and 9900k beat the new Ryzen processors is because they clock a lot higher. 4.7ghz is the single core Turbo speed, not the multicore Turbo speed. Intel doesn't publish the all core Turbo speed of processors anymore because they say it depends on cooling, workload and power consumption.

"LGA1151 300 Series " This the motherboard.

The Core i7 9700 is not overclockable, so you can get any cheaper board that doesn't support overclocking. I'd say the ideal one to pair it up with would be the B360 chipset boards. H310, Z370 & Z390 would also work, but they are not ideal for that level of performance. The H310 is much too low-end, but the Z370 & Z390 are much too high-end and require overclockable processors to make them worthwhile.

So, let's say you've selected a B360 board, then buying the best board within that would be probably mainly based on price. I would say a cheaper board would not be all that much worse than a more expensive board, probably the only difference would be that the expensive board will be equipped with more LED's and bling, but not much more actual performance.

As for the RX 5500, although that's a good selection, it's more appropriate for Core i5's and Ryzen 5's and lower than Core i7's and Ryzen 7's and higher. For an i7, I'd equip it with at least an RX 5600 or 5600XT.

What other features do you want/need? I like the Asus brand in mobos ... some others haven't always held up too well.

There isn't much of a correct answer other than one that doesn't get a lot of bad reviews from customers. It really just depends on what you want or if you plan to do any overclocking. I recently got a new motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 2600 cpu and 16GB of DDR4 Ram. I was attempting a cheap build where I saw a motherboard that was micro atx to fit my small case and had the M.2 pcie x4 slot that I have never had so I could get a new M.2 SSD. If I wanted to run two graphics cards, I would have bought a full atx with two PCIe x16 slots and a larger case to fit it all in. It just depends on what extras you want.

You haven't given us enough information

but here's a quicky answer:

https://www.xtremegaminerd.com/best-intel-lga-1151...

and another (note : this one has a mixture of sockets)

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-gaming-motherboards/

• get a cheap 1151 mobo and invest in a better GPU.