Why do Australians make so much effort for Halloween?

They dress up and really get into it. 

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Because it's fun for kids, and the season itself gives adults the chance to watch horror movies and go to costume parties. My effort is pretty minimal, but I love Halloween because there's a different vibe about October 31st at the end of the day.

You might complain that it's been adopted from the US and a product of American media influence, but cultures change when exposed to one another. How can you really complain about having an additional holiday that's ultimately pretty innocent? And if you don't wanna deal with Trick r' treaters, you don't have to answer the door. Put the sign up saying you aren't participating and continue living your life.

• dj
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I don't and my neighbours also do not.

• Dj2541
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Halloween is a Celtic tradition, as about 60% of Australians are of Irish / Scottish descent it sort of makes a bit of sense??

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The same imbeciles brainwashing our kids about climate change want it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Fred
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

because they believe if the Americans do it they must do it as well.

• 1 month ago

We don't !!!

Nobody ever did until we were bombarded with American TV. Now the kids have caught on to every commercial take over of our lives so they expect what they see on the overwhelming amount of American TV shows. There is no halloween in my neighbourhood, thank god.

• 1 month ago

It's apart of our culture. 

• 1 month ago

no effort in making a sign Go Away Australian children are not that poor they need to beg from strangers

Thumbs down for not supporting beggars you people really have problems

and Bah Humbug to you all

Halloween is a waste of time and an American pagan day don't come to my Home begging for Candy sweets or Lollies

• 1 month ago

so the kids can have some fun

• 1 month ago

media  and woolworths etc  caused it...….no one gets any lollies from me if they were to call ..im from old school 

• 1 month ago

Probably for the same reason Americans and Canadians do the same thing. And other countries, too, for all I know. I don't know why they do it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.