Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 1 month ago

Are Arabs white?

Personally I would say no

White, as in European caucasian, no.

yes, they are white.

• John P

The basis of your question is the false basis that there are only two skin tones - black and white. The human race is not thus. And if you go back far enough we all have "black" ancestors. The human race originated in eastern Africa, with dark skins.

Me? "White" Briton.

just the clothes they wrap themselves up in

My parents were both born in Egypt, I was born in Lebanon; our ancestry is white: but mostly because my ancestors were rich and could afford, and liked the white women who came to the region. The females in my ancestry are Irish, Welsh, Scottish and Macedonian... so I'm what you would classify as a 'white arab'.

• Zirp

The vast majority does have "white" skin yes

Yes, they are Indo-Europeans. However, some of the Arabs do originate from Africa. There is some mixing as there is on the Indian subcontinent as well, but a majority of people in the Arab countries are Caucasians. Most people in Arab have cold-adapted features like abundant facial and body hair, tall and narrow nose bridge, light skin tone, short arms and legs and a rounded torso. These cold-adapted traits were inherited from their ancestors who came from Europe. They did not evolve in the hot tropical climates of the Middle East.

Some are, some aren't. Arab generally refers to those who speak Arabic. In the countries of Syria and Lebanon, finding Arabs with blue eyes would not be uncommon. In countries such as Egypt and Sudan, Arabs would be mixed with Sub-Saharan Africans, and would not be considered white.

NO they are tanned. I am white and they certainly are not