Ben asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 months ago

Can a front kick be blocked by....?

1. Shuto Uke- knife hand block (yes/no)

2. Soto-uke- outside forearm block (yes/no)

Yes; most definitely.  However you have to be careful in your approach with this and while you can block the kick directly that is not always a good idea.  Meeting it and the power of it head on and directly blocking it be basically taking it on your forearm is not necessarily the best approach.  You can block it that way especially if its to the belt or higher but if the person is wearing shoes or boots then that's some really hard impact on your forearm or forearms and could even break one of your lower arms.  A strong front kick with the ball of the foot will literally lift you up and drive you back without your feet touching the ground.  Also you can't easily block a front kick below the belt like this so well because in order to do that you have to lower yourself and most bend forward to do that exposing their face more.

The best way to block a front kick is to meet it from the side as it is traveling forward and keeping your hand closed or at least making sure your fingers are all together and making contact with the open palm of your hand.  Allowing your fingers to splay out will sometimes result in one or more of them being broken.  Meeting it from the side like that then is really more desirable and there are a number of blocks and ways of doing this without meeting the power of the kick head on.

A shuto uke would not be good for this in this case because it exposes your hand and fingers more to being broken when making contact with the leg and kick.  A soto uke would be more applicable but only if the kick is to the chest or slightly lower but still above the belt.  Just let me add that one of the tactics I would use when fighting was to kick with a front kick at the belt just for the reason that my opponent would sometimes hesitate or stop to think more before reacting as to how they might block it.  Lower it has to basically be something akin to a down block while higher then a soto uke might be more applicable.  Catching my opponent hesitating, taking more time to think and react to this kick was one of the reasons why I would use it when fighting.

I always wing block. Or straight up capture the foot and throw the guy.  To ewch their own I guess. Try it out in sparring. You'll know then lol

• A Front Kick Like Anderson Silva Does To Dan Henderson & Vitor Belfort Kid???? Should Be But The Problem Is The High Speed Than The Front Kick Is Made In So, A Prime Anderson Silva Can KO Easily Anybody With That Front Kick Like He Does With Vitor Belfort In UFC 126 In February 2011 Dude! It's Just About How To Blocked 🚫 & Keep Training So Far!!!

#MMAAnalyst!!!!!.....

Knife hand block, that's interesting. I might YouTube this later.

probably. generally though you dont want to block kicks with karate techniques unless you dont mind breaking your arm.

Uke does not mean to block, it means to receive.

These techniques are not just used for blocking and striking. They are used as part of the grappling applications in karate. Its not the end points of the technique that matter its what happens between the end points

So in that aspect yes they are effective, as well as for many other applications they are both used for.

The difference between a beginner technique and an advance technique is application

Edit: You can deflect a front kick with a front kick as well. Its only limited by your knowledge and training

Edit: Thank you 無

And good point, It would take several books to go through it all.

I could spend about a month teaching different applications for one technique, My bunkai instructor could easily go through 6 months worth and never go over the same one. Some day I hope to reach this point.

• Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

good answer; also, depending on exact situation,eg, middle dnward upward side multiple pivoting multiple situations, all countertechniques mentioned may be appropriate; maintaining balance accuracy precision timing smoothness rapidness continuousness strength correctness are important; good question

• Lôn

Yes, but gedan barai is more effective.

We were told to cross arms at the elbows if an up kick

or to raise our shields in a riot line.

Whack'em with the baton in the ankle if possible.

• Kokoro
      1 month agoReport

Crossing your arms at the elbows????? You either never took a martial arts class or your a troll. pick one