Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 month ago

Why does this YA site allow Homework help? To me, that is just like Cheating. Or at minimum, the student learns nothing. PS... When I was?

growing up, I did MY OWN homework. And whatever grade I got, I deserved it, but I did learn. What are your thoughts?

Best Answer

I think it's ok to help them get to the right answer on their own, unfortunately most people just give them the answer, which I agree with you, means they learn nothing

I don't think it's like cheating. It can be very helpful to explain how to do a problem.

Then they will apply what they've learned to the rest of their problems.

I have no objection to helping. But I do get irritated when some users just hand over the answer instead of showing the asker how to work it out for themselves.

One thing that many askers seem not to be aware of is that SOME users deliberately give wrong answers.

Do not give them a direct answer. Give them an explanation of the concept and a means to apply it.

• Mercy

Just another tool.  Same as using a calculator/library/ Google .......

I try to give them help without just giving the answer.

• audrey

Users should just not respond at all. After while, the lazy brats would give up.

• Kaden1 month agoReport

i have paid 4 tutor to help me through school and they didnt help anything if anything they confused me more. people on here have helped me by explaining how to solve answers in a way i can understand. so if your that biased and cruel maybe you should get off this site since it irritates you

• NONAME

when no one helps i dont see why they keep asking

The vast majority of it is cheating - over 90%. Some of it is kids who are actually IN class taking a test and their teacher isn't smart enough to make them turn off their smartphones. A small percentage of it is actual help. Such as ""Blah blah blah X equals Y squared, what is the value of Y?" How to I determine the value of X?"

Why does Yahoo allow it? Well for comparison, they allowed ISIS to recruit for a good long while, no questions asked. If you reported it, they brushed it off and let it keep happening because they didn't want to be accused of being Islamophobic. Cheating on homework / tests is pretty mild compared to that. Yahoo gets it's advertising revenue, that's all they care about.

• Laurie

Thoughtful responders can GUIDE a student without doing the work for them. If people want to cheat, they will find a way. But that doesn’t mean that every person on YA is cheating. One sign of intelligence, and of maturity, is knowing when to ask for help.

• Kaden1 month agoReport

thank you for standing up for the students on here. a lot of these people are to naive and act cruel because of it.