What should I do?

Hi.

I'm a Rotary Exchange Student in Denmark and really struggling with homesickness. I am currently living on a small island named Lolland near the bottom of Denmark. I have been here two and half months and would do anything to go home. After arriving in DK I had to change host family's due to some health complications (the animals gave me fleas) I was in this situation for around three weeks and has the flea bites for almost a month. On top of it my class in school doesn't want an exchange student and puts no effort into talking to me. It seems that every day I come across a new problem. I have been crying every day and night for two weeks even when I am out and seeing new places such as Copenhagen and other cities. I am very thankful for this exchange and the money my parents have spent. I keep thinking I took this experience away from someone else but I just miss hugging my parents and feeling loved. I want to stay but my mental health tells me I should go home. Any suggestions... everything helps. :)

• B

contact Rotary Exchange headquarters immediately and tell them you'd like out.

Go home, study somewhere nearer.

You have not given yourself a fair chance to grow up, adapt to a different culture, become more fluent in the language, etc. You are not giving anyone else a fair chance to get to know you, either. You do exchanges like this to challenge yourself, to become more independent, to learn others' culture & lifestyle. Don't throw in the towel just because you want mommy & daddy to hug their baby. You had the guts to sign up, apply, interview, fly to Denmark, etc. You're clearly no little baby. Suck it up. Stick it out.

things will pass,eventually.

grin and bear.

Fleas are not great but I have never heard of them causing health complications in humans. Usually you just get bites. Anyway, you have solved that so put it behind you.

Sounds as if your main problem is with your school-mates. Did nobody explain that in Denmark people speak Danish and that you are expected to learn the language? When my daughter went to Hungary as an exchange student, the first thing she did was a six week language immersion course. Your fellow students are fed up with you because they feel that you are making zero effort.

Get a grip. You have the ability to turn this around. Are you going to say in the future that you bugged out of your exchange because Danes speak Danish?

• Tavy

Go home, life is too short to be miserable.