Why does the U.S. transit system suck so bad?

I’m just trying to get from one place to another as fast as possible but the only route that gets me where I’m going has me do a three hour detour in the opposite direction. It’ll take 6.5 hours just to go 60 miles. 

Best Answer

Rent or buy a car like the rest of us.

(Interesting name you have there). Real class............

• Anon1 month agoReport

I Appreciate Every Day that I may simply jump on my 'bike or in my car. I realize know what a precious Gift having the privilege to drive is. After years of bus, bicycle, walking..

It takes me 6 hours to go 5 miles to town.

That is because the bus has a specific route IT MUST FOLLOW...BECAUSE OF OTHER PICKUP POINTS. They are not your private carrier.

. I find I can WALK to town faster than taking the Bus, so I walk when in a rush.

IDK. I tried to go from mys city to Wichita on Amtrak (which is Federally santioned), had to either go to LA or GA , THEN, double back to Wichita. Insane.

And, Wichita KS is a big city. Many major aircraft cos thee. Not like Smallville.... My city is one million, too. So much for "linking major cities"... SF is only 800, 000.

• In

There is no US transit system. The US has 3.797 million square miles of land area with two non-contiguous states, several island territories, and a total population of 329,064,917 people which comes out to an average density of 87 people per square mile. This population obviously is not evenly spread and public transportation is not economically viable outside of the more urbanized areas.

• Anon1 month agoReport

Yes there is Trains are Federally sanctioned.

• Scott

Because there really isn t a US transit system. It s all municipal, county or state run in most cases.

• Anon1 month agoReport

Interstate Trains are Federal.

You live in a very large country with some very long-distance routes within its borders, and also an overall low population density.

So public transport is only going to tend to run between major population centres.

If a 60 mile journey is going to take that long then use a bicycle. You should be easily able to do that in about 4 hours (or just 3 hours if you pedal a bit harder to average 20mph instead of a leisurely 15mph). Using an electric-assist bicycle it can be an easy 3 hours or even less for more powerful electric bikes which can do 25-30mph.

Or if you can ride a motorcycle that journey can be just 1 hour if speed limits allow 60-70mph.

Use Uber or Lyft.

• Anon1 month agoReport

I took bus just Yesterday to get from 15 miles away, where I'd dropped off a car for service, to home. Almost a direct route and busses have that 3rd lane to the right reserved for them or bicycles.