Substitute motherboard for A55BM-A/USB3?

I have that not so recent ASUS computer that started acting a bit over a year ago, dropping internet every now and then (that is: several time an hour, for a couple minutes each time); and recently completely lost its audio capability. Since this A55BM-A/USB3 motherboard has an integrated chipset for graphics, audio and ethernet, I suppose that the misbehaving is a sign the motherboard is pretty much shot.

Admittedly this is not the latest, most up to date computer (it has DDR3 memory), but it suited me just fine for some applications, and would rather try and fixing it than send it to computer heaven.My problem is that A55BM-A/USB3 motherboard are essentially unavailable, so I am wondering if a compatible motherboard, with similar characteristics (integrated graphics, audio and ethernet--why not?) micro ATX format, with a FM2+ socket and DDR3 memory, exists out there. I would transfer the current CPU and memory boards; granted, this is almost like trading a car and keeping the tires, but as I indicated, the computer was good enough for that usage (I have another, more powerful rig already).

So the question is: what compatible or slightly upgraded motherboards are there *available* that could be fitted in there? 

Best Answer

It sounds like the south bridge is failing and as you have pointed out, the board needs to be replaced. Due to the age of the system, it may be hard to find a replacement board so that you can still use the APU and RAM. Similar boards would be Gigabyte AMD FM2+ A68H and MSI A88XM GAMING AMD Socket FM2+ M-ATX Desktop which are both still available to purchase.

After replacing the mainboard, you do not need to reinstall the system but you may need to run a repair as the Operating System is tied to the chipset of the mainboard. A Windows repair, which is done with the original DVD or a downloaded version from Microsoft, will clear the driver binding and allow your system to continue as it was.

Just make sure that you are satisfied with the board you choose as returns are an unnecessary headache.

Good luck

• David

Have a look on amazon for eBay, initially search on A55 chipset motherboards, then FM2+ Motherboards. You may find a compatible motherboard.