Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Why can't Americans live with parents until they get married?

Why is it that Americans don't follow customs like other countries where people live with parents in the family home until they marry? I don't understand it.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • LizB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best Answer

Because culturally we consider important milestones of adulthood to include moving out on your own and being self-supporting, and it's a milestone you should achieve before marriage. For women it's important so that they don't wind up financially reliant on husbands, and for men it's important so that they don't go from expecting Mommy to do everything for them to expecting Wifey to do everything for them. Most of the cultures you're referring to have rigidly defined gender roles within marriage, so the couple is less likely to value equality and partnership within marriage because they haven't been raised to expect or even want it.

• LizB
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

for 8 years. We moved in when I was 25 and he was 28, and married when I was 28 and he was 30.

• 1 month ago

They can. It's up to the families.

• 1 month ago

They can. They can do whatever they want.

• 1 month ago

I didn't particularly want to live with my parents until i got married. I didn't need to be monitored by mommy until i was 27.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

cause they dont want to

• Ricky
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I don't think that's the norm anymore like back in the 90s where everyone could afford an apartment. Im 27 and single with no gf. Still live in my parents house. I came back after college with alot of debt cuz I wanted to live in my own but dam it's so expensive out there. My parents don't mind me living with them but I need to contribute something at least . I think if I do ever find a girl to make a family with than yea I'll try and move out

• 1 month ago

I thought that they could??

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I wonder how much of it has to do with homeowners wanting to rent rooms.

Another is upper middle class started wanting to make marriage something only they get. Turning young people into losers for living at home made them unmarriageable.

• 1 month ago

Plenty DO. In fact, some couples live with parents even AFTER marriage.

Not in MY house though.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It’s because American have enough money to move out. They don’t need to live with family, it's nice to visit them but I like my own life.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.