Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 2 months ago

can someone help?

Suppose there are 10 friends going to the fair. One attraction allows only three of the students to enter at a time. How many different groups of three students can be selected for the attraction?

Update:

may someone help?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

There are 10 friends and you are choosing 3 of them.

Let's start by picking them in order:

1st person = 10 choices

2nd person = 9 choices

3rd person = 8 choices

10 * 9 * 8 = 720 permutations of 10 people taken 3 at a time.

However, we don't care about the order the people are chosen. If I pick Alan, Becky and Chuck, that's not any different than picking Chuck, Alan and Becky, or any of the other orders of these 3 people. With 3 people, there are 3! = 3 * 2 * 1 = 6 ways to order them.

To account for the different orders and counting them as only 1 combination, we need to divide our permutation answer by 6.

720 / 6 = 120 ways

There is a formula for the number of combinations of n people chosen k at a time.

C(n,k) = n! / (k! (n-k)!)

C(10,3) = 10! / (3! 7!) = 120

I have trouble remembering the formula, so I just think of C(10,3) as a fraction first:

---

Then I multiply top and bottom by the next smaller number. I do that until I get to 1 on the bottom.

10 * 9 * 8

-------------

3 * 2 * 1

After that, I look for ways to cancel all the numbers on the bottom. For example, I can cancel a 3 from 3 and 9. And I can cancel a 2 from 2 and 8.

10 * 3 * 4

-------------

1 * 1 * 1

Once the denominator is all ones, I just multiply what's left in the numerator.

10 * 3 * 4 = 120 ways

If you want to check your work, just type "10 choose 3" into Google to verify you have the right answer.

Answer:

120 combination

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Thus must be set up in combinatorial form of (10 * 9 * 8) to create set pairing.

Simple application of counting technique.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

ABCDEFGHIJ = 10

ABC, ABD, ABE, ABF, ABG, ABH, ABI, ABJ, BCD, BCE, BCF, BCG, BCH, BCI, BCJ,

CDE, CDF, CDG, CDH, CDI, CDJ, DEF, DEG, DEH, DEI, DEJ, EFG, EFH, EFI, EFJ,

FGH, FGI, FGJ, GHI, GHJ, HIJ count them or use 8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 = 36

I bet you were "taught" an equation to use.

• nbsale
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Not right. For example: Where is ACE? Do you see what you did wrong? There are too many to take an approach of listing all possible triplets.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.