Music: What key am I playing in?

I'm trying to figure out which key I am playing in with this chord progression. I tried looking it up but because they are not popular chord progression I'm having a hard time finding it. 

Thank you!

G#   C#6   C#   G#

• Me2

Two chords aren't enough to establish a key.  Mamianka mentioned that "this is an odd key for most folks", but the alternate name for G-sharp is A-flat, which isn't odd at all — no one with a little knowledge would elect to write in G♯ major instead of A♭ major.

For guitar, though, sharp keys are common, so guitar players would tend to think in terms of G♯ as they wouldn't be putting it on the page in standard notation (where G# major is awkward).

I'd say that you're most likely in G♯ (A♭), but almost as likely to be in C♯ (whose alternate name is D♭)

• Faye1 month agoReport

Thank you for your answer! You two really helped me in relating to the other musicians. So interesting how simple the answer could be to just to turn it into a flat. Thank you!

I concur with the other answer.

Since you have so few chords, and they duplicate, you could either add a F# chord and then have defined C# major - OR - you could add a D# or D#7 and be in G# major. That is if you wish to be in the realm of standard Common Practice harmony (altho this is an odd key for most folks). To define a KEY, you need a tonic, subdominant, and dominant chord -often referred to by their Roman numerals I IV V - then back to , or ending on, I - usually. If you learned even a little bit of Music Theory (Yeah - I was a Theory teacher for almost 30 years - multiple degrees in that area) you would feel more secure, and also be able to transpose, and use more creative harmonies in what you write. I know - and can tell by what you posted - that you must be self-taught, and therefore are experimenting - which is the long, hard way to get to where you want to go. Look up some things online, get some basic books ( like the *Dummies* series - they are fun to read, and explain things well - usually.)

• Faye1 month agoReport

Thanks, I'll check the Dummies series. I am playing by ear and been singing my whole life. I can sing many harmonies, I lead song circles. I know how to play a lot of songs, many chords/scales on piano/guitar/ukulele/charango, etc. Who knows maybe Im missing out. I'm open to learning. Thank you!