Should a teenager be in trouble for saying that he/she wants to get hit by a car.?

At one point when I was in middle school I got into really big trouble with our school principal and my English teacher because I told my classmates that I wanted to get hit by a car. So I don't know about everyone else but I don't think that teens or kids of any age should be punished for that at all. My reasons are because for one kids who say things like that need help not punishment and besides that punishing them won't get them the help they need. So do you agree with punishing a teenager for suicidal behavior? Also I'm using my experience as an example, I'm not dwelling on the past or anything.

Yes and no. Making comments like that is a huge red flag for suicidal behavior, and people like your English teacher and the principal of your school are legally required to report such behavior and also to take it seriously. That's why you ended up in trouble. Because even if you were 'joking", they don't- and can't- consider such comments to be funny or amusing.

You needed to be in treatment for depression. I hope you got the help you needed, and are still getting it.

• Charlie3 weeks agoReport

Thankyou and yeah I agree that if they're saying that as a joke then yes they should be in trouble. However I myself was actually suicidal because of bullying.

• Nathan

No, in fact that's worrying because it implies you are suicidal. They should of pulled you to the side and asked you why you said that, and that it wasn't appropriate

• Charlie1 month agoReport

Yeah I completely agree but my English teacher and the principal should have also had me see a therapist who works with kids and teens who are suicidal.

Yes

They need to take you to a mental hospital since you want to be ran over and yes you should be punished for saying such things since you do it for attention 

• Charlie1 month agoReport

Suicidal in the first place was because I was bullied in elementary school and I was about to go to highschool ( which by the way made me nervous) because I was afraid that my highschool years were going to be my elementary school years all over again and yes I know that I didn't type that.