Irked asked in TravelOther - Destinations · 1 month ago

I just got disinvited to a client's family wedding ! How do I handle this ?

I have a client, where I work as a contractor. The company is owned by 3 persons of the same family. I got an invite from one of the owners, insisting that I attend the wedding. While I subtly mentioned that I am happy but wont be able to travel out of town for the wedding.

The client insisted on booking a place for me as well. Out of the blue I receive an email from the company travel desk about the cancellation of the reservation made.

I find it awkward and embarrassing. How do I handle this ?

Should I cease my professional relationship as well ?

I feel that they have underestimated the value of time that I was taking out for the travel, the cost of travel and the trouble of gifting something worthwhile.

ON insistence I relented and decided to travel for the wedding function.

• John

Simple enough to look at your history and see that you write whiny pseudo-questions for a living. Stop that.

When your travel plans were cancelled with the travel agent, did you take this as being uninvited?

I would have picked up the phone and asked them what happened before I made that determination. Maybe it was an error or the travel wasn't cancelled just changed behind the scenes to a different payment method.

• DEBS

Seems to me you undervalue that client and undervalue the importance of strong business relationships. They had you in an inner circle. They no longer do. You may have to fight for their business now.

• PR

Since there are three parties involved, you might simply consult with the first who insisted you attend. There may have been a miscommunication between these people and a simple misunderstanding. I would investigate this, before going too far with the rest of your assumptions.

Besides this, you didn't really want to go? Talk to someone.

You have already stated at some point you said: . . .  "I am happy but wont be able to travel out of town for the wedding".

Additionally, a wedding "invitation" should come directly from the person(s) arranging the wedding. This may have been well above their budget, and another family member did not know this.