Travelling alone?

I've due to go on holiday this afternoon to a lovely hotel all inclusive in a quiet beach resort in Spain but due to family problems my best friend is now unable to go with me.

I'm considering going alone but I'm worried I'll get bored and lonely by myself, but I also don't want to waste the holiday.

Is it a bit pathetic to do it alone? There's not much around the area but a beach and a few restaurants/shops, the nearest city (Barcelona) is quite far away.

Does anyone else do stuff like this alone?

• August

I travel alone quite a lot and i have no regrets. I make sure that my time is occupied as much as possible whether it is hiring a bicycle or scooter,just to get out (the roads are relatively safe in Spain). I am also fortunate to like photography so i can get lost in time and i compare them to the postcards that are displayed at the resort. It would be very worth while taking a day trip to Barcelona as La Ramblas is worth seeing along with the port area.But remember, you're taking a break from the normal stuff you do so try and relax too.

• David

Travelling alone is good I know it's great to share your experiences with someone else and it can make you feel a bit self conscious sitting in restaurants or bars on your own but you will see things from a different perspective and you won't have to worry about worrying if another person wants to do the same things as you do.

It's not pathetic. Solo Traveler is good. You can do many things which interest you a lot. Join tours and meet new friends. Go and have some fun!

No, it's not pathetic. It would be sad if you miss out just because there's no one else to go along. When you travel solo, you get to see and do exactly those things that most interest you and you get to set your own schedule doing it. Go and have a great time.

I have travelled alone to several countries and Chinese cities before, it was fun and exciting as I could go anywhere at my free will, I told myself that I am an observer, I travel to observe things, so I didn't feel very lonely before.

My excitement of being a solo traveller started to fade away as I have visited and observed many places/people, so I had bad mood(I started to feel lonely) during my latest journey, so now I decided to travel with someone, which I haven't done yet.

If you are a female, I wouldn't recommend you to travel alone though, you would get bored and it's not safe.

• Jay P

I know several people that have gone to resorts alone. They usually makes friends with other people, go on excursions, participate in resort activities, etc.

Why don't you take your 12 year old daughter?

I went to Hawaii alone and I had fun. I also signed up for a ton of activities. If you have a full schedule it will be fine if you were planning on just sitting on a beach idk. I think you should go personally.