Should i go back to hospital for chest pain? ?

I have had chest pain when breathing in for 2 days now. i

t is extremely painful when i take a deep breath and it is constantly there. i went to the hospital yesterday for it and they ruled out anything serious and said it was most likely a pinched nerve. i am just worried because i’m not sure if i went to a good hospital for it and i am having trouble breathing because of it because it hurts so bad when i breath in. it is also sometimes so painful when i breath in that i almost collapse. should i go back to the hospital? should i be worried that it’s more then just a pinched nerve? 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The hospital would have advised you to follow up with your primary care physician or would even have made an appointment for you. Sometimes they call the next day or the day after to do a phone follow up. If your EKG and blood work were normal, it's probably not heart problems.

As someone who is Not Really a Doctor, your symptoms sound more like a broken rib, mainly from personal experience. Even if it's in the upper chest, your ribs come all the way up around to the sternum.

• 1 month ago

Per my dad's cardiologist - if the pain exists for more than 15 minutes it is rarely a cardiac event.

If the pain has existed for 2 days straight, it's not a cardiac event.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Pain that worstens on taking a breath in is not cardiac and is typically costochondritis or a pulled intercostal muscle. Heat and ibuprofen are the only treatments that will help.

• Pippin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The ER would have done tests to rule out life-threatening causes for chest pain (EKG, tests to rule out a blood clot, imaging to check for a mass). Chest pain is taken seriously in emergency rooms.

And if it's been going on for days and you are still able to type this question, you are not having a heart attack.

By all means call your doctor.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No. The ER would just tell you the same thing (it is not serious). But I have never heard of breathing problems/pain caused by a pinched nerve. More like a strained rib cage. New comment: Did you sneeze hard 2 days ago?? ## ANSWER - definitely see your primary care doctor. ER ONLY IF things get worse overnight.

• Rosalis1 month agoReport

So would it be better to go to my primary care then to the ER?

• 1 month ago

Yes, obviously.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.