n asked in SportsRunning · 1 month ago

Is it true?

Is it true that running will decrease muscle mass in your legs making them skinny?

Depends on the type of running and for how long. Sprints don't make you legs smaller. Jogging an hour a day will make your legs smaller. I've been working out since I was 8 , 22 now (on my own) so I know a thing or too. Jogging could be the best thing for weight loss. The only thing about jogging is that it'll make you want to eat a lot! So there's a con built right in. That's for some people though. Only some people want to eat a lot after jogging. Me personally, it does make me want to eat. That's why I minimize how often I jog. Sprint for me makes me not want to eat.

There's more to this though. When you exercise you're training your muscles to be a sort of way. When you lift heavy your muscles get bigger, denser and stronger. I'm going to keep this simple. When you jog you're coverting your muscle to have endurance. Endurance runners are thinner people because of this. Show me a yoked up marathon runner lol. Can't! Unless he's genetically a super saiyan or something. So think about it in that light. It's also easier to move a smaller body. The body adapts to make itself smaller. Get it? 

• .

No, not necessarily. Muscle mass decreases when your body is forced to use it for fuel because you aren't consuming enough of the proper nutrition to keep it fueled. Some runners are very lean/slim, and others are not at all. If you eat right and do some strength training as cross training, there's no reason to worry about becoming more slim than you desire.

I know quite a few runners who are heavy set and yet have decent run times and may participate in short and longer distances events.

i would try it and see and then you'll know

• Alex

That's false. Running is a stress. Body's response to stress is to increase muscle mass to better handle the stress.

Also...take a look at Olympic runner's legs. Usain Bolt's legs are massive.

• zeno

I believe it burns total body muscle not just

The legs. I used to share a living space with

A body builder and he mentioned keeping

Aerobic to a minimum for that reason. I want

Over all Heath and don't care about body

Building so I do two days of cardio and two

Days of weight lifting. Both in moderation so

Everything is in balance. It's best to focus

On over all work outs that keep everything

Working and flexible and well toned.