Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 10 months ago

Can I use hand soap to clean the mouthpiece of my clarinet ?

vinegar and a shammy rag maybe but be sure to clean the rag first

try therabreath. soak it in enough of the stuff to cover it,let sit a good half hour

• Me2

Dove bar soap works well to clean mouthpieces, and rinses off completely, unlike many other bar soaps and some liquid soaps.  In general, liquid detergent for hand-washing dishes is preferred.  Do not immerse any part except the mouthpiece in water.

A mouthpiece requires special care.  First grease the cork fairly well.  Use a soft toothbrush or similar to scrub.  Don't force anything through the mouthpiece by pushing or pulling.  Avoid damaging the tip (even a small nick affects playability) or scratching the inside.

After a thorough rinse, apply hand sanitizer, 50% to 99% alcohol (propyl, isopropyl, or ethyl), or Sterisol germicide to sterilize, wait a minute or so, and wipe dry.  If the mouthpiece has an odor, put it cork end up in a glass or mug, fill with vinegar to just below the cork, wait 30 minutes, and rinse.

One of my compatriots applies a little food-safe or medical-grade mineral oil to a sponge swab, and pulls it through the instrument a couple of times, and similarly lightly oils the mouthpiece inside and out.  The amount of oil is very small, just enough that a sheen is visible.  He was shown this by an instructor during his university studies, and I'd guess that the practise is not uncommon.

[ EDIT:  Via a brief consult with different clarinetist, I found that commercial products called "bore oil" are widely used.  It is essential to never use a "drying oil" such as linseed, tung, or walnut oils. ]

if youre not sure i wouldnt use it

I would have staying from using hand soap because it's going to leave a bad taste. I tell you what works really good though Listerine mouthwash.

Sure, why not? Of course you'll rinse it off good because you don't want the soapy taste on the mouthpiece.

Source(s): Played woodwinds in a variety of bands.

Yes, the mouthpiece is plastic. Liquid soap is better than soap.

there is a liquid soap called soft soap which is better washes it faster