What happens to the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center after Christmas?

I heard that the tree is on display for the public until January 7. What do they do with the tree after that? What about the lights and decorations, where do they go?

Also, Do any birds live in the tree while it is on display?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

They donate the tree to some charity that uses the wood to make houses for victims of fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. This I know for a fact.

I assume they reuse the lights. Don't know about birds.

• 2 weeks ago

I believe the ornaments and lights are stored and the tree is mulched for soil enrichment all over the city as needed.

• 3 weeks ago

It is stored somewhere until next Christmas

• Daisy
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

The tree is used for mulch and other needs. I think the lights stay on- there are probably people assigned to take the lights out and recycle them or whatever the city does with the lights (probably destined for the trash hauler). I would imagine birds and other creatures may find shelter in the tree while it's on display. Once it's taken down, the critters probably find other means of shelter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

they might save it for next yr

• Huh?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The tree is milled into lumber which is donated to habitat for humanities, a charity that builds homes for those in need.

Former President Jimmy Carter has been very active with that charity for years.

• 1 month ago

Obviously it can’t be replanted and it can’t just be hauled to the dump to rot away in a landfill. That would be a massive waste of a good resource and more to the point would be just a sad misuse of something that stands for such a symbol of hope within the state. Thankfully the trees are taken down, stripped, and used for lumber for homes after the holidays. Nothing is wasted other than that which can’t be used for any practical purpose. This kind of thing tends to bring hope that people are finally seeing the light and understanding that we need to use the resources we have in order to build on the future rather than using something once and chucking it once we don’t need it any longer.

• Pallmall891 month agoReport

Nice , thanks for the info. Do you know if there are any birds that live in the tree while it is on display?

• 1 month ago

Yes, there are birds. Santa and his reindeer eat them.

Source(s): A wise old man.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.