I pursue art but my Asian parents don't think it's a good idea.?

For several years I've wanted to pursue art, since I was little. But my Asian parents have always told me that it is very difficult and I would be a starving artist. So i have tried do other things, such as medical and video game design. But i keep wanting to do art, I am now a softmore in high school , i know i have time, but i don't wanna be too late.

For several years I've wanted to pursue art, since I was little. But my Asian parents have always told me that it is very difficult and I would be a starving artist. So i have tried do other things, such as medical and video game design. But i keep wanting to do art, I am now a sophomore in high school , i know i have time, but i don't wanna be too late.

drown them in paint, no one will know ;)

Nothing wrong with being upset, but visual arts as a primary income can be very sketchy. (Pun intended). It's the kind of thing that is usually considered entrepreneurial. Something you do starting a new venture..until your services are in demand and you have created a market and discovered vendors, sponsors, buyers. It might help if you stopped using the word "art". Computer graphics or computer based visual design or computer generated graphics. Your parents will be much happier if you use the word "computer"...Just stop using the word "art". Your parents don't understand art.

• keerok

You're Asian. Expectations are higher. You just have to live with it.

You can't even spell sophomore right. At that age, if your art hasn't been recognized yet, you're not going to make it. I say stay in school. Regular school.

• Sai1 month agoReport

Harsh, but very true. I have been awarded for my art when i was in elementary school and middle school, but have never received any money awards, which was their main concern. I tried trying other things Freshmen year. But It just made me miserable.

But my Asian parents have always told me that it is very difficult and I would be a starving artist.

What makes you think you wouldn't be??

i would just prove them wrong and do some art

There are many variants of art. One of which is art porn....

I think it is a good idea to pursue art

• .

What kind of art? Are you talking about painting? Have you shown any interest in this before? Or is this just a new thing for you?

You might want to have a Plan A and Plan B -- because becoming a successful artist is like becoming a published writer or making it in a pro sport. Most artists have to have a "real" job to make ends meet.

• Sai1 month agoReport

Yes, i have i did art for 3 years in school and 2 outside, but even so they think it's better if it's kept a hobby, understandable but still upsetting.

• J M

You can do whatever you want. Not all artists starve, only the bad ones do.