Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationFishing · 9 months ago

Is it ok to clean fish with lake water? or will that cause contamination?

Its fine, assuming its nice clear water. What do you think people used for water back before modern plumbing and fish wash stations next to lakes

Depends on the lake, There's a lake close to me which has toxic algae blooms. If your dog swims in it, they can get sick or even die. It causes a flesh-eating disease in humans, which people have died from. On the other side, no one's died from eating the fish.

I wouldn't want them to taste like lake water, plus there's fish cleaning stations all over the place.

Doing the camping thing we always did, just be ware that bears can smell that a long way off, so you could have some moochers show up.

We always did. We used the water we brought them up from the boat to the house in.

Once they were scaled and gutted, my mother always prepped them for cooking with fresh water with a little salt added.

Yes no problem. I don't know how many raw oysters I have opened and rinsed off in the intracoastal waterway

near my home. Of course always washed it down with a cold beer. I usually carry a cast iron frying pan and

corn meal and grease when on my boat. If I catch lunch I just pull up to shore, build a fire and clean and

fry my catch. Cleaned and gutted in the river or ocean. I promise it don't get any better than that.

• Rick

That's an OK process for a shore lunch involving that day's catch which are to be immediately cooked and eaten. Fish to be refrigerated or frozen and kept for a longer time need to be thoroughly rinsed with water pure enough to drink. (IMHO)