Why should the family of diplomats be given diplomatic immunity if they commit a crime in the country to which they are assigned?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best Answer

I understand why diplomatic immunity is a thing but it does seems it's horribly abused.

• RICK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They are given immunity to stop people from blackmailing diplomats by charging family members

• 1 month ago

If they really commit a crime, then their home country should waive immunity so that they can be prosecuted.

However, it has to be the option of the home country, because if it was up to the country where they are assigned, then countries could blackmail/extort diplomats by falsely arresting their families who have not committed crimes.

• Maxi
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

So the US diplomats wife who drove on the wrong side of the road in the UK and killed a 19 yr old motor cyclist and there is CCTV of the incident who flew home as she knew she was facing criminal charges...

• tom
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Because they have diplomatic immunity. That does not mean that I agree with it. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I think some leniency can be appropriate if the crime is victimless and more related to national or religious custom (adultery, homosexuality, etc). In cases where there is an actual victim, immunity should never be granted IMO.

• Sèonaid
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

American ambassador's wife killed a guy in a road accident. The stupid ***** drove as though she was still in America and now the little çunt has flown home to avoid prosecution.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.