Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 1 month ago

I hate my job what do I do now?

I did great in college, 4.0 gpa, and I loved it. Then I got my first job in the career and I hate it. I hate it so much. The whole experience is awful. I can’t go back to college and start over. What should I do? 

I am a registered nurse. Before I graduated I worked as a patient care tech in the hospital. I could not wait to be a nurse. Then after graduation, I took a job in a big trauma university hospital. I’ve been bullied by the other nurses and I have no fight left. I don’t care anymore I just want out.

I don’t want to try as a nurse in a different hospital or office. I have hated this experience so much. I smile at my patients, dread the break room where I’m called stupid by other nurses or other various insults, then cry in my car. No it’s not just name calling. They have lied about my nursing care to the managers, they have followed me to the parking garage taunting and threatening me, and they have insulted me in front of patients, causing some of my patients to lose trust in me.

I have a college degree I wish was in something else, I have a job I hate, I’m miserable. I can’t work as a patient care tech again because as a RN I’ll be held accountable to that license. I’m thinking of revoking my license, then I hate myself for wasting 4 years in college.

I'm sorry that you're being so mistreated.  If you don't feel as though nursing is for you, in general, especially at this time, please consider looking elsewhere and give the two weeks notice.  I don't work in the nursing field, but I'd heard from various individuals that it has a high burn-out rate.  What an accomplishment to have earned a 4.0!  That is wonderful, and you should be so proud of yourself :)  

• juliet

A nursing degree is SO versatile that it would be silly to give up before trying AT LEAST three other things.

A Hunch listed some good alternatives. It sounds like you had a good work ethic; consider going to graduate school soon and getting a masters. In the mean time (because grad school takes 2-4 years), switch specialities. Trauma might not be for you. Maybe peds? Maybe community health? Etc.

Nursing is notorious for the issue of bullying and the old eating their young. They are threatened by your freshness, and your up to date knowledge. They know that once they retire, you’re what’s left. Girls/women of all ages are so petty and that’s just the reality.

They should NOT be harassing you. If you’re not going to report them, then at least leave. You’re ina terrible learning environment. You’ll never gain the passion/skills you need there. But don’t leave the field yet. Try other things. Remember how hard you studied to pass nursing school and the NCLEX.

Looknfor internships to receive training in another field.

well for one, get out of that job; its toxic. There are other jobs and careers, but its hard to advise you without knowing what interests you. (You do not need to revoke your license BTW. that is silly). How about daycare? Teaching? Health ed? or something completely different? You would not need particularly, to get a whole new degree, depending on what you decide.

• In

You have a college degree, so start looking for a career field that might be more appealing. No need to limit yourself to nursing.

Good for you. I don't care.

There are many things in nursing that don't involve this kind of environment:

- working for an insurance company

- working in a specialty non-profit like hospice or HIV

- school nursing

- nursing in a behavior therapy environment

- student medical center at a university

- home health working with infusions

- dialysis clinic

- etc etc

It sounds like they have taken a dislike to you.  Find out why.  Ask one of them why she hates you so much.  When you learn "why", you can start elsewhere and change that.  It could be a little thing, easily changed.  Don't give up.  You are in an honorable field and could very well love the job elsewhere.  Some places are clicky.  Try another hospital.  When you are asked about "why" you left the other place, say something like you couldn't take all of the gossip.  They were involving you and you just didn't want to be around it.  That's a fairly safe and neutral reason for leaving and it should not detract another employer from hiring you.

• A Hunch
      1 month agoReport

DO NOT TELL A POTENTIAL EMPLOYER ANYTHING ABOUT GOSSIP.

• Kyle

consider joining the military. with your college degree, you could apply for officer's training. while you could be a nurse in the military, they also have hundreds of other jobs that are not all combat or infantry related. you get paid training, and experience for four years if you serve enlisted. some enlisted jobs require six. officers serve five-ten years.

go in with an open mind. you don't always get to pick the job you want. if you enlist, it depends on your ASVAB scores (high school level test), and if the job is available at time of enlistment. some jobs require security clearance. a recruiter will have more info on the job selection. if you enlist, you may also start out at a higher pay grade too with your degree.

the military has jobs in obviously health care, but air traffic control, IT, analysts, logistics, vehicle maintenance, some finance / admin jobs, construction, electrician, HVAC, and others. you can see ALL the jobs they offer on the branches websites, but again, they may not all in demand.

military life isn't for everyone. but plenty of people join for job training and to take advantage of their benefits. do some research. then see a recruiter for more info and next steps.

• mokrie

Why not get one more step and become a nurse practitioner? Then you can work in a real small office in a small town and take patients of your own?

• mokrie
      1 month agoReport

I go to a nurse practitioner in my town and have a lot of respect for them. Go for it. You may end up glad you didn't scrap your hard earned degree.