Jarvis asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 month ago

What are some misunderstood and underrated animals that make good pets?

I was going to say rats, but you already have some really good posts about rats listing their virtues. I second everything that has been said about them! Rats are great pets!! (They will also ride on your shoulder and in your coat pocket very nicely if you train them while young). Male rats can be neutered at the vet if you want them to be, as well.

Anyway, since I'm not actually suggesting rats, I suggest a fish. Go with an Oscar. Very interesting fish. They can learn to recognize their owners. I had 2 large albino tiger Oscars and an enormous Plecostomos, along with their tank, given to me once. I named the Oscars, Oscar and Madison, and the Pleco was Felix, since Oscars are known for messing their tank up and the Pleco went around cleaning things up. (Referencing the Odd Couple). Anyway, sadly, Oscar eventually killed Madison, so I was left with Oscar. Felix didn't care about me at all. Oscar would follow my movements around the room, and whichever end of the tank I sat by, Oscar would settle there and hang out near me, very companionable. There are people who train their Oscars to come to the surface to be stroked, or do tricks. Neat fish!

Rats! OMG i can't tell you how many times iv'e had a conversation about my rats, that led right to "EWW." Rats are amazing pets, very social, easy to train, can use a liter box, ACTUALLY somewhat clean, fun and cute, and they come in many colors!

Basset hound puppies. People think they are retarded. They are not. Well, except for my basset hound puppy. He's off the charts retarded.

• Nathan

Rodents, like hamsters. They need a minimum cage size of 70x40cm, though bigger is better, and at least an 8" wheel ( unless they're a Syrian or Chinese who need a 11" wheel), and 8" or more of bedding.

all animals require lots of research, and you'd be surprised with what you learn once you educate yourself about a specific animal

• Sparky

Rats!

I swear they are just like having a puppy. They are very intelligent, affectionate, interactive and can even be taught to fetch and walk on a harness.

The only bad thing about rats, is they don't live long enough. Their life span is usually only a few years and they are prone to cysts and cancers.

I used to think they were disgusting until I had one as a pet. I've had lots of different types of pets and rats are one of my favourite.

The only reason I don't currently have a pet rat, is because I currently have 3 cats that would stress the poor rat out too much.

• Anna
      2 weeks agoReport

Rats are MUCH MORE intelligent than dogs. Dogs are stupid and useless.

Many spiders, where legal, possum are very loving and loyal. Rats are hard to beat.

Those silly porcupine are good for some chuckles, just wear gloves when petting.

Black garden ants are really popular, fascinating too.

Toads and frogs if you learn how to properly care for them.

Cephalopods,,incredibly smart but pricy to keep, rays an alternative, just visible at feeding time.

What is your concept of 'good pet'??

• keerok

Housefly - it's there already, housebroken

Mosquito - train it not to bite

Ants - be sure to label sugar jars with "Not Salt"

Pigs are intelligent, playful, mild-mannered and easy to train. Octopi are extremely intelligent, gentle and can learn affection and recognition of their owner. Tarantulas also, when raised from a very young age, learn to recognize their owner and only bite when they're seeking prey or are threatened.

You can try to own a pet racoon.

• daniel g
      1 month agoReport

You will wish you hadn't, skunk is far better, don't even need a cage.

Rats.

Don't get mice as they smell more than rats.

Some people even like snakes.

• daniel g
      1 month agoReport

Mice don't smell any worse than any other rodent.