Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 1 month ago

Question about horses?

Can horses survive on grass and hay alone? I wanted to but some sweet pellets and oats just to throw in but my mother in law is saying they don’t need it and it won’t do them any good and said to not get it.

I always thought horses need more than just hay and grass is it true?

4 days ago

Frankly it depends on the horses work and shape but they can survive on hay and grass. Ask your vet because she/he should know your horses health best

Your horse needs pellets because that is where their nutrition intake comes from. Hay and grass are just something for the horse to munch on throughout the day, It has no nutritional value. So short answer: Yes, your horse NEEDS pellets. Otherwise, you are going to end up with a sickly and bony horse.

• Depends on the horse. All mine gets is hay twice daily and a ration balancer (a mix of vitamins and minerals in pellet form). He doesn't need grain, but he's a decent-sized Quarter Horse not in work. He'd get fat if given grain, sweet feed especially.

Depends on the horse and the area. Asking your vet would be good (even just calling and asking about the standard for the area). If it gets really cold there and snowy then you might want to do hay and some feed. If they are low on grass then you might want to feed. Or if they horses are older or are low on weight then you prob. should feed. I would ask a vet or friend that knows horses or can look at the area you keep them and give an opinion.

• Amber

It depends on the horse, the climate, their level of activity, the quality of the grass/hay.

I live in the UK where the winters are pretty mild and we hardly ever get snow. My horse was a cob who grew a thick winter coat, we had 20 acres. 10 we kept and let rest over the spring, summer and autumn specifically for winter grazing. My horses were never stabled nor really ridden much in the winter. They just ate the grass and we'd put vitamins into things like apple cores and carrots. If we put down hay they'd just leave it. But we'd put some in their shelter every night, if we often still there in the morning.

When it did snow then we fed hay, carrots, apples and some mixed cereals.

• *****

Depends on the individual horse, their level of work, and the quality of the hay. I've had horses who needed some grain to maintain weight even when out of work, and some that did quite well on hay alone even with several hours of daily work. In some areas, hay requires some supplementation due to deficiencies in various minerals or vitamins. While some have success with just a mineral block or offering loose mineral mix, I've had several horses that wouldn't touch the stuff, and there's no way to monitor who gets how much when you've got multiple in the pasture. I've found mixing into a little grain to be the easiest way to deliver needed supplements. Also, sweet feed is not generally recommended for horses.

i would ask a vet this question

If they have ENOUGH good grass and hay they don't need anything else. Grain is a convenience for owners, not a necessity for the horse.

If the horse is in good flesh, not too thin, then they don't need more.

• Eva

Depends on how hard they work. If they're just pasture ornaments they do fine without grain and in fact it could harm them if they're already overweight. If they are thin (bony) they need something more and could need worming. Horses are fiber driven. They're meant to eat grass/hay and graze 24/7. As long as they have adequate grazing and hay they should be fine.